Eurostar/Eurotunnel

Jan 24th, 2007, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Eurostar/Eurotunnel

We were thinking of taking a one or two day trip to France while we were vacationing in Kent, via Eurostar to Paris, but I'm finding the least expensive fares available for my family of three are just under $400 round trip (not to mention a hotel if we stay overnight). Eurotunnel to Calais, which includes both car and passengers, is much less--a bit over $100 if I've converted currencies correctly. But there are surcharges for taking a rental car from the UK to France, which negates a lot of the savings.
I was wondering if the Eurotunnel is only for passengers with cars, or if there's some way for those of us who wouldn't need a car to use this less expensive way of getting to France. If not, can anyone suggest a less expensive travel alternative for this sort of short trip?
Thanks.
Jan 24th, 2007, 06:46 AM

How did you price those train tickets? If on the website did you say you were from the US?
Jan 24th, 2007, 06:50 AM

Since you are going to be in Kent - and want to economize - why not just take a ferry??

Foot passengers on the Dover/Calais or other routes are cheap and you can rent a cr in France. And it would be a LHD car.
Jan 24th, 2007, 07:09 AM

Eurotunnel trains only carry passengers in vehicles. There are bus services that use it, but from Kent to France, the ferries are cheap and frequent. Try www.seafrance.co.uk or www.poferries.com, but there's no need to book in advance for foot passengers.
Jan 24th, 2007, 07:47 AM

I found this blog entry that mentions the eurostar prices vary depending on whether you use the eurostar website in french or english;
http://www.nikcain.net/weblog/2006/0..._for_less.html

I've no idea whether it's true, but I can confirm that he's right that the lowest fare is 35€ one way (so your round trip for three could be 210€ in total) - you do have to try various dates & times to get those prices, although I've managed to get them only a week or so before travelling.

Also check out easyjet or ryan air for flights - seems silly to fly such a short distance, but you can get tickets that are roughly 40€ after taxes...
Jan 24th, 2007, 07:54 AM

oh, and something else - several christmas's I've hired a car to go back home (to carry all the pressies, I wish...), and I've not had a cross channel surcharge yet. I've used Hertz that do this 'Le Swap' car rental, where you're given a french car on the french side and a UK car on the UK side. Having the steering wheel on the correct side makes a huge difference! (I think they're the only one that does this though).
Jan 24th, 2007, 07:56 AM
ira

Hi M,

Lowest fares for the Eurostar are 21 GBP each way for a 1-day RT.

Clear your cookies, go back to www.eurostar.com and choose UK as your country.