Euros in Poland

Apr 13th, 2019, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Euros in Poland

Are Euros commonly accepted in Poland, or just Zlotys?

Thanks
Apr 13th, 2019, 08:52 PM

Zlotys.
Apr 13th, 2019, 09:36 PM

Złotys, mostly. I have successfully used Euros for small purchases (beverages) at the Warsaw and Gdansk airports.
Apr 13th, 2019, 11:40 PM

You might get away with paying with Euros at the airport but why would you consider anywhere else? I don't go to the US expecting to pay with sterling. It's simply common courtesy to pay in the national currency
Apr 14th, 2019, 12:46 AM

only Zloty
Apr 14th, 2019, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by jc_uk View Post
You might get away with paying with Euros at the airport but why would you consider anywhere else? I don't go to the US expecting to pay with sterling. It's simply common courtesy to pay in the national currency
I think the question is legitimate. Of course one would use USD when in the United States. There are other countries that will accept the USD/Euro in addition to their own currency; in fact, in the recent past I have successfully used Euros in Yerevan at a farmers market, and just last month DH used USD in Pakistan. Within the EU zone, some countries accept the Euro even if it isn't their currency, especially near borders with Euro countries; just today we paid for lunch at a restaurant across the border in CZ with Koruna, but the local wine I purchased with Euros, as we were out of Koruna. We find similar in Hungary in some places; we can pay with Euros and will be given change in Forints. The exchange may not be great, but for small purchases at local markets it doesn't matter.
Apr 14th, 2019, 06:59 AM

I don't think "courtesy" has anything to do with it, it's just a business transaction. Businesses that accept USD in Mexico or euros in some European countries are doing it because it advantages them financially, they aren't doing it just to be "nice". Believe me, in Mexican Riviera resort areas, vendors don't think it is "rude" of someone pays in USD, they want the business. I've been in places in Hungary that accept euro, and also in the CR, I believe, and Switzerland. They are doing it for business reasons because a lot of tourists have euro.

They usually charge a markup, of course, as it is a service, so that's up to you, if you know the official exchange rate, you can figure out what it is. In some stores/vendeors in Mexico where I've been, they actually give a very good exchange rate. I've never been in a place in Europe that did that that gave a super great exchange rate, though, but not usually worse than some credit cards/debit cards.
Apr 14th, 2019, 07:49 AM

Coming back to the initial question:

Euros are not commonly accepted in Poland.

Souvenir shops, tourist sights and restaurants in regions close to the Eurozone borders (i.e. Germany and Slovakia) will be somewhat likely to accept euros. Or regions that get most their tourists from the Eurozone, e.g. Mazury.
But regular supermarkets or "non-touristy" pubs or eateries or public transport ticket machines may not accept euros.

In border towns like Slubice you can pay anything in euros, from sausages to haircuts - you hardly see any prices advertised in zlotys anyway.
But that's not the rule.
Apr 14th, 2019, 12:19 PM
J62

Like cowboy I've had no problem using euros and only euros in border towns near Germany for anything and everything. No experience elsewhere in Poland.
Apr 28th, 2019, 10:05 AM

You can exchange euros there in any currency exchange that are called Kantors.
May 19th, 2019, 07:14 AM

Mostly zloty, though you won't have a hard time exchanging at all.