Eurorail Pass - worth it for this trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am over my head and on information overload, from Rick Steve's site and the Eurorail site.

Plan to use the train to travel...

1. From Munich to Florence
2. From Florence to Rome (roundtrip)
3. From Florence to Venice (one way)
4. Day trips from Florence....

Is there a pass that covers all this? Intent here is to save some cash... this is for five adults, one of them a senior citizen... well if 63 is considered a senior citizen in Europe.

Will the Swiss Alps be something worth taking the day time train for? We could take the night train and have an extra day on our trip, but I wonder if we would be missing out on the views.
Old Dec 24th, 2006, 07:26 PM

I am positive that for all your trips within Italy, point-to-point tickets would be dramatically cheaper than any pass. I doubt any pass would be worth it for your itinerary. Go to railsaver.com and type in your itinerary--be sure to check "only if it saves me money."
Old Dec 25th, 2006, 03:19 AM
J62

If you are traveling from Munich to Florence you'll be passing through the German, Austrian and Italian Alps. If you want to see mountains, then stop along the way rather than taking another journey to the swiss Alps.
Old Dec 25th, 2006, 04:26 AM

I think that is just what monicainindy was suggesting -- seeing the alps on that train. The question was should they do a day train to see the alps rather than a night train when they wouldn't. I personally wouldn't take a night train unless it was a last resort, and yes the route during the day is REALLY worth it, in my opinion.

And no, I can't imagine that a pass will be good for you for this. The Florence, Rome, Venice tickets have long ago been proven to be much cheaper than any pass, and adding a single trip from Germany but having to switch to a multi country pass just for one trip will not give you any financial benefit.
Old Dec 25th, 2006, 04:29 AM

Eurail's prices are inflated and their timetables are incomplete. For the best timetables for most of Europe, go to www.bahn.de. You'll see that there are several day trains from Munich to Firenze. The standard 2nd class fare is E93.60, but there are Europa-Spezial fares as low as E29.00 (subject to availability)on the direct train that leaves Munich at 09:33. There are also two night trains with cheap SparNight fares if you want to save the cost of a night in a hotel. Book Munich-Firenze at bahn.de up to 60 days in advance to have the best chance of getting a Europa-Spezial fare or a SparNight fare.

Firenze-Roma is E14.31 on slow regional trains and E29.44 on fast EuroStar Italia trains.

Firenze-Venezia Santa Lucia is E26.60 on EuroStar Italia trains.

Book trains within Italy at www.trenitalia.com. Or simply buy them at the ticket window the day before you're going to travel.

In short, do NOT buy a pass.
Old Dec 25th, 2006, 04:50 AM

I forgot to mention in my previous post that bahn.de allows you to get details such as all intermediate stops, not just connection points. You can trace the routes of the day trains from Munich to Firenze through the Alps.
Old Dec 25th, 2006, 05:20 AM
ira

Hi M,

The Munich Florence train goes through the mountains. In Spring it is very pretty.

You will go through the Brenner Pass, where Mussolini met Hitler.

I would take the day train.