Eurorail Italia???

Dec 13th, 2001, 02:09 PM
Andrew

Eurorail Italia???

Has anyone taken this from Venice to Florence & from Florence to Rome? How is the 1st Class? what did they serve? tell me all about it

Dec 13th, 2001, 03:05 PM
Patrick

Yes, several times. There is no food served if that's what you mean, although there is a separate dining car.
They do come around and offer complimentary coffee, juice, and a little pack of cookies. But it is very comfortable and smooth.

Dec 13th, 2001, 03:07 PM
Patrick

Sorry, delayed reaction. Do you mean Eurostar Italia?

Dec 13th, 2001, 03:21 PM
Walter

The only real advantage compared to 2nd class is IIRC. 1 less seat across and maybe the seat itself is alittle bit nicer. You can put a large suitcase or backpack in the open overhead above you seat. *Maybe* the w.c./bathroom is roomier or nicer. If not a peak travel day or season it would be less crowded. It has 1 or 2 sections where the seats are facing each other with a table and there is a plexiglass partition (making it a cubicle). I *believe* this might be for frequent business travelers. I *think* you might get 1st dibs on going to the dining car, where the ok food is alittle over-priced which is normal. It's nice if you have never had a sit-down meal on a train before, I did it once and now I just use the snackbar-type car for food & drinks. Also the airline-type beverage/snack service is free, no big deal just soda/juice/coffee & snack, my favorite is the "vinagar pretzels"). Honestly 2nd class is perfectly fine and basically the same thing and IMO 1st would only useful if the train was very crowded or you were jet-lagged and wanted to get some sleep in perhaps a less crowded and quieter car. Regards, Walter

Dec 13th, 2001, 06:55 PM
pat

Be sure and get a seat reservation, too. We had terrible seats because we didn`t know. We went from Venice to Florence.

Dec 14th, 2001, 05:31 AM
Patrick

That glass partioned area that Walter refers to is available to anyone by reservation. We reserved those from both Rome to Florence and Florence to Venice when four of us traveled together. Reservations are indeed important. Those first class cars have always been full when we were on them, but at least not people standing like they were in 2nd class. Because we were leaving the states too far in advance of our Italy segment, we couldn't reserve. But while in London we made our requests with a travel agent friend there who waited until the proper time, made all our train reservations, and mailed those to us at our arrival hotel in Rome. She did this for us even though we were traveling on Eurrail and Swiss passes. Saved us a lot of peace of mind to have all our reservations including some for some very tricky to reserve segments -- Glacier Express in Switzerland, Thalys from Amsterdam to Paris, etc.

Dec 14th, 2001, 05:43 AM
Santa Chiara

Walter is right about first and second class on EuroStar. It really isn't worth the difference, and the distances are not that far. However, if you are riding an IC or an EC train, I would recommend reserved, first-class, non-smoking, or at the least reserved second class. The only problem is that if you reserve second class and the train is really crowded, you may never be able to get your seat if someone else is ensconced there and refuses to move. And good luck getting a conductor to intervene. I have been on EC and IC trains when you literally couldn't move, or if you did you had to climb over people and baggage in the aisles.

On a recent trip, my travel agent mistakenly booked me in a second-class smoking, which is an enclosed six-person cubicle. I didn't notice the errot until the train was pulling into the station. I didn't even go to my seat; I just went to the dining car and stood for about an hour until the next stop. Another passenger vacated one of the stools against the window, and I took that. Not fun, I assure you. This was mid-Friday afternoon during a ponte (holiday on Thursday, which means everyone takes a bridge, or "ponte," to make a long weekend.