Europe's best chocolate

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 01:13 PM
Grasshopper

Europe's best chocolate

Changing the subject for C.... where, in you opinion is Europe's best chocolate? I vote for the chocolate I found at a chocolatier in Strasbourg... or Brugge. Tough choice.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 01:34 PM
c

G-you are so kind, as I sit here eating an orange coffee cake with chocolate pecan struesel! I am afraid I have- like someone,maybe W C Feilds- never met a chocolate that I didn't like
So wherever it is , that is the best!
Then again,I can say that certain places stand out in my mind, like the chocolate cake I had in Paris that was just this dry little puff with fruit around it,but when you stuck it, hot chocolate oozed out! Oh my oh my~ so,I will just shut up now and listen to everybody else and their chocolate stories...

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 01:35 PM
Grasshopper

oooh, we had one of those at Le Boucherie, near Notre Dame last month! It was sooooo good! My daughter said they have something like it at Chili's

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 03:16 PM
Chris

1. Belgium -- Neuhaus
2. France -- Bernachon

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 03:43 PM
Linda

Chris - Ou est Bernachon? Thanks.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 04:20 PM
Sue

Bernachon est a Lyon!

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 06:42 PM
Betsy

Jean-Paul Hevin in Paris

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 03:48 AM
Chris

Beh, oui! Cours Vitton. Between the Foch and Massena metro stops. If you go a week or two before Christmas, count on standing in line for an hour or so to get your chocolate. The truffles are worth it (as are the almonds).

And they have a tea room -- REAL hot chocolate (oh, how disappointed I was in Switzerland when I got a packet of Swiss Miss and a glass of hot milk...) and really yummy snacks to go with it. Beware of chocolate overload though -- it CAN be too much (never thought I'd say that...)

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 04:51 AM
Shain

Hi Grasshopper,
Antwerp - Leonidas
Düsseldorf - Heinemann
Munich - Käfer
Düsseldorf - Leysieffer
Bruxxels - Neuhaus

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 04:56 AM
ed

Leonidas- Brussels

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 04:56 AM
c

Chris-regarding chocolate overload...I think you have to work your way up to a sort of tolerance for chocolate..if you continue to eat it all the time all year,when you go on these trips and are faced with large quantities of chocolate on a daily basis, it will be a "piece of cake" :0)
At least in my case-there has never been an experience of "too much chocolate"~
could this possibly be something to do with my name????candice/aka candy?? no no no - impossible~

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 10:32 AM
carolyn

Lindt in Switzerland; Leonidas in Belgium; Ritter candy bars in Germany; Cadbury Fruit & Nut bars in England. I've seldom met a chocolate I didn't like.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 11:04 AM
melva

How about chocolate in Amsterdam?
We went to the Metz where they have a tea room, I ordered a chocolate mousse cake, and hot chocolate, and, they brought me a chocolate cooky! I was in Heaven!

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 11:06 AM
c

I love it when I am waiting for dessert (something chocolate) to be served and they bring around that little tray of free desserts,and I have a pre-chocolate chocolate!

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 11:42 AM
Barry

We buy chocolate everywhere we go! But we always buy it in the local markets on in department stores! We bought wonderful local chocolate in Sicily, of course we love Swiss chocolate and it's lots cheaper in the supermarkets there... but our favorite in Spanish chocolate that we buy either in the small family owned stores in Barcelona or in the basement level at Corte` Inglese there!

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 12:26 PM
Judy

Am I the only one who loves Italian chocolates? Fiat and a hazelnut creme called something like Gianula (?) Fabulous!!

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 12:28 PM
c

YES Judy-we got those for Christmas! they were the first to be eaten,yummmmmm.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 12:53 PM
Buzz

Just curious...no one mentioned English chocolate. Not a big fan of chocolate myself, I can take it or leave it, but once I was chatting with a young couple from Paris in a pub in London. It just happend to come to light that they visit England often just to buy the chocolate. The lady told me that even the Swiss harbor a secret envy of some of the finer stuff the English produce.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 03:47 PM
Cass

Melva, thanks for recommending the chocolate mousse ckae at Metz in Amsterdam. Their appelgebak is dekightful too. And that view!

I recommend the chocolate cake at the cafe attached to the Puccini chocolatier in Staalstraat in Amsterdam.

Cadbury's milk chocolate is fantastic. Their factory is in Birmingham, England. Mmmm...chocolate.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 04:04 PM
Chris

c -- having lived around the corner from Bernachon, I did raise my tolerance considerably! However, too much is too much. Now that I'm back stateside, I'm afraid all my hard work is going to waste...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -