Ireland itinerary - suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2003, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is our idea for next July - any suggestions??

JULY 16 ? Fly on Ryan Air nonstop from Edinburgh to Dublin for 4.99 GBP ($28.13USD including taxes, one hour flights at 8:15, 11:05, 4:25, and 7:25).

JULY 16 - Arrive Dublin (overnight here). Check in somewhere and hire a local guide planning to tour St. Stephen's Green, Grafton St. (street musicians and shopping), O'Connell Street (statue lined), possibly Dublin Castle*, Christ Church Cathedral, Old James Distillery (Irish Whiskey tour). Perhaps have high tea at the Shelbourne Hotel on St. Stephen's Green.

JULY 17 - Depart Dublin and head west towards Galway with stops at Muligan for the Belvedere House with its jealousy wall and at Clonmacnoise with its nteresting cemetary, great stone crosses and whispering arch? Then, travel onwards towards a B&B in the Ballyvaughan area. That evening I'd like to attend a midevil banquet at Dunguaire Castle with celtic harps and poetry reading!

JULY 18 - Traveling south through the Burran Region with it's peculiar geology and explore Poulnabrone Dolmen, the town of Ennis, Adare with it's thatched roofs (extremely picturesque) and onward to the Ring of Kerry Drive. Time permitting hopefully we can make it to the Bantry House for an overnight in that area and a late afternoon or early the next morning beach stop at Mizen.

JULY 19 - Onward towards Blarney, you may visit the town or the Castle and kiss the stone. Probably bypass Cork and move on towards Waterford and take a tour of the factory which includes Eric's favorite - glass blowers! We may chose to stay in the Waterford area or move towards Kilkenny that evening.

JULY 20 - Tour Kilkenny (picturesque town and castle) or just drive onward through the countryside and back to Dublin for return flight to London later that day. Fly Ryan Air nonstop Dublin to Gatwick at 8:15, 11:40, 2:45, or 7:10pm for $16.29 USD.

JULY 21 ? Fly to USA, I thinks desired flights (on the 777 planes) leave London at 9:40 am

Thoughts or suggestions?? Thank you so very much! Babs
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 09:19 PM

On first glance the only thing that really stands out for me is your comment about Adare - it is not extremely picturesque. It's extremely touristy and, in my opinion, a waste of time.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 09:40 PM

Five nights, five different B&Bs/hotels, one day in Dublin followed by four days of continual driving - doesn't sound like fun to me!

IMHO waaaay too much and waaay too far for such a short trip. Keep in mind - In most parts of your itinerary you will be lucky to make 35 or 40 MPH.
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 03:07 AM

I think July 18 is impossible. I don't think you can see Ennis and the Burren AND do the Ring of Kerry drive AND then make it to Bantry all in one day.
I agree with Rickmav about Adare. If you're going to have to miss someplace in Ireland, Adare would be one of my top candidates.
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 03:31 AM

Way too much in that amount of time. And I am someone who moves around more than most people. Just came back from 9 days (8 different B&Bs - so you see what I mean about moving around a lot) and I didn't even cover that must ground. You will NOT average more than 30-35 miles an hour (that's average, you go faster at times but almost all roads in Ireland go THROUGH the towns and this slows you down. Even if there is somewhat of a ring road (around Limerick, Cork) you still are in slow moving traffic, with lights, for quite a while. I suggest you pick either the west (that would be my choice) or the south and do just that area, not both.

Also, while RyanAir flights are only about an hour (I flew from Lees, England to Dublin) you have to get to the airport two hours ahead, then when you land you have to taxi to the gate, wait to get off, wait for your luggage, etc. Getting into Dublin will take an hour. So think about all that, I was fooled at first too by the sound of a "one hour flight" but it pretty much ate up the whole day. Personally I would skip Dublin and that will give you a little more time.
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 03:42 AM
amelia

Things I think are great: all the cultural "field trips" you're building in.

Things I think are not good on the itinerary:
a)time allotment--roads are small, traffic can be hectic. Cut your route in half (and add more cultural things!)
b)including Adare in any itinerary--no, no, no. Adare is a mockery of what you can do in Ireland. Unless you have a burning desire to inhale diesel fumes and take pictures of tourists taking pictures of God knows what, pass!

Old Aug 28th, 2003, 06:43 AM

July 18 (my birthday): West Clare is definitely worth a visit. When you tour the Burren, try to fit in Doolin (lunch at Gus O'Connor's) and the Cliffs of Moher. There are also some nice shops in Lahinch (and Ennis) and there's a museum in Corofin. You can end your day in Ennis.

If I were in County Clare (Ennis) and I wanted to go to Kerry I would go west and take the Killimer-Tarbert ferry.

In mid-to-late July I would try to make a stop at Spanish Point where Willie Clancy's Irish step-dancing Master Classes and competitions happen about that time.

Adare, Ireland's 'tidy village,' has two often-photographed thatched roof cottages, the overpriced Dunraven Arms Hotel and 2-parkland golf courses that don't really merit rave reviews. So, unless you want to make a stop just to say you've been there, take a photo of the thatched roof cottage out of your car window and continue your journey. Further down the N-21, you might stop at Rathkeale, an historic vilage that was at the center of the Palatine immigration: Members of a German Religious sect who were driven out of Germany and settled in Ireland (mostly County Limerick). An interesting note: One of the NYC Fire Chiefs on 9/11 was an Irishman from NewcastleWest with a German-sounding surname (VonEssen?).
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 09:42 AM

I think this is way too much. You will be blinded by the Green Blur

Is there any way you can fly from Edinburgh to Shannon or Galway? that might help.

July 18th. This is pretty much impossible, unless you don't plan on getting out of the car , even to ask directions.
Galway - Doolin (cliffs / burren) is around 1.5 - 2 hrs
Doolin to Ennis = 45min - 1 hr
Ennis to Killarney ( start of the ring) 2.5 - 3 => depends on whether you take the ferry or go around Limerick)
Driving the Ring = 5 hrs
By this time you have spent 10 hrs in the car - no lunch , no beverage stops, no sightseeing ALL DRIVING.

If you are planning on being in the Kilkenny area, be sure to stop in to Jerpoint Glass Studio (near Mt Juliet golf course & Jerpoint Abbey) They actually do Blown glass. Waterford Crystal(one of my FAVORITE places) is more about the cutting of the glass.

To get some realistic times for driving seeing things - post your itinerary at www.irelandyes.com and www.irelandexpert.com forums. The 2 ladies that run those have been to Ireland countless times.

This is only a 5 night trip. Even if you can fly into Shannon or Galway, I would still cut at least 1/2 of this out.
I would skip either Galway or Killarney. Give yourself more time in the places you are. Explore Kilkenny's area - lots of craftsmen there.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 09:18 PM

Even the itinerary of July 18th alone seems to be to much for a five night trip! Fly into Shannon and stay 2 nights in the Dingle and three nights in the Kenmare area. Do the Ring of Beara instead of the Ring of Kerry.
Karen
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 10:23 PM

Actually I wouldn't fly into Shannon or into Dublin for this short a trip. I'd fly into Cork and concentrate on the southwest. You can fly to Cork from either Edinburgh or Glasgow, and from Cork to London. Skip Dublin entirely and you will have enough time to see a lot of SW Ireland. As most everyone else has said - your original plan is basically impossible.