Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   European Whirlwind (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/european-whirlwind-1091725/)

BrooklynBorn Mar 29th, 2016 12:35 PM

European Whirlwind

My wife and I have two weeks to spend on vacation, and we wanted to see London,Paris the Black Forest and Venice. Plan is to spend two days in each location. Not ideal, but it is what we can afford. I have almost completed the itinerary except for the leg between the Black Forest and Venice. Can anyone suggest the best economical way to get from one to the other?

StCirq Mar 29th, 2016 12:41 PM

What do you mean "it is what we can afford?" Monetarily or in terms of time? If you have two weeks, you can "afford" more time in each place. You are criss-crossing a good swath of Western Europe.

I doubt there's an easy way to get from the Black Forest (where in the Black Forest?) to Venice, but check. www.seat61.com for train information for all of Europe. Maybe there are cheap flights, too, but aI don't fly those routes so can't say.

And buy open-jaw air tickets. No way you want to have to backtrack to London to get home.

janisj Mar 29th, 2016 12:42 PM

>>Not ideal, but it is what we can afford.<<

If you have a limited budget -- then all that moving just adds expense and cuts down on what you can see and do.

PalenQ Mar 29th, 2016 01:12 PM

I have almost completed the itinerary except for the leg between the Black Forest and Venice. Can anyone suggest the best economical way to get from one to the other?>

Probably by flying if you can score a cheap air fare but by train you can get the cheapest rate possible at www.bahn.de/en - the German Railways official site - will sell you a discounted Freiburg (or from any German station) via Munich to Verona, Italy I believe - could be really cheap if seats at that price are available - Verona to Venice would be cheap on regional trains - dirt cheap - buy that ticket once in Verona.

There is also an overnight train available Munich to Venice - same www.bahn.de/en site - get a private compartment and have a good time - can bring any food or drink you want onboard - saves on the cost of a night in a hotel and you could take an early train from Freiburg to Munich - stash bags in train station locker and look around Munich's lovely center a bit too.

A quicker rail route could be via Basel and Switzerland to Venice but that too is an all-day train ride, just like via Munich to Verona and Venice in the day. check www.sbb.ch - Swiss Railways official site for any discounts on that route (not as regularly offered as on www.bahn.de/en though I think.

For general info on trains and overnight trains check www.seat61.com- the guru site now of discounted tickets; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

Flying may well be the cheapest and fastest way and since you are on a tight schedule may be the only viable solution. Though by day train you do see the Austrian or Swiss Alps

Check www.skyscanner.com for cheap flights - Basel's airport is close to the Black Forest.

BrooklynBorn Mar 29th, 2016 01:25 PM

PalenQ Thanks, that's precisely the guidance I was looking for. Appreciate the consideration and the options offered.

Sassafrass Mar 29th, 2016 01:36 PM

With 2 weeks, I urge you to reconsider and add at least a day each to Paris and London. There is so much to see in each of those cities, plus you may be a bit jet-lagged and need a little down time on arrival day.

Assuming you are taking train from London to Paris.

As to international tickets, look for multi-city or multi-destination tickets, into London, out of Venice.

sandralist Mar 29th, 2016 01:39 PM

You should also check flights from Munich to Venice.

You do see the Alps when flying over them most of the time. The view from the plane is spectacular. It is also lovely by train, unless it is night time.

janisj Mar 29th, 2016 01:41 PM

I agree w/ Sassafrass. What you plan will basically give you almost no time <i>anywhere</i> and a lot of time on trains.

IMO/IME you get much more bang for the money (and time) actually SEEING things, not traveling between places.

ira Mar 29th, 2016 02:12 PM

Ditto Jan

Europe will be there when you decide to go back.

flpab Mar 29th, 2016 02:47 PM

PalenQ, There is also an overnight train available Munich to Venice - same www.bahn.de/en site - get a private compartment and have a good time - can bring any food or drink you want onboard - saves on the cost of a night in a hotel and you could take an early train from Freiburg to Munich - stash bags in train station locker and look around Munich's lovely center a bit too.

Saves on a night's hotel and you wake up ready to go. Do open jaw for sure, into London and out of Venice.

nytraveler Mar 29th, 2016 04:07 PM

I'm confused. Two weeks with 3 weekends is 16 days - 17 if you fly out friday night. Four cities at 2 days each is 8 days - or 11 days if you figure a whole day to get from A to B.

Where re the rest of your days going?