European Winter Travel

Old May 22nd, 2014, 10:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
European Winter Travel

Hello!
I am twenty years old and I'll be doing my upcoming fall semester in Limerick, Ireland (September-December). After my study abroad I planned on staying in Europe until the beginning of my spring term in the state's. Giving me about a whole month in Europe.
I understand December-January traveling isn't ideal but I think I'll be able to make the best of it.
I was wondering what people would recommend as far as winter in Europe traveling goes? I've been once before to Germany in the summer. There's nothing specific I want to do I just want to be there.
If anyone has any weekend trips from Southwest Ireland that would be nice too!
Thank you,
Claire
Old May 23rd, 2014, 01:09 AM

January may actually be a good time to travel as there are no crowds around. Just remember that daylight hours are short and temperatures in north Europe may be quite low; as long as you stick to cities and indoor activities you should be fine. At times snow, fog and rain may make transportation unreliable - the key is keeping flexible plans and trying not to move too frequently with tight transfers.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 02:24 AM

If you will have time to travel in late November or December that would be the perfect time to visit the Christmas markets. Winter is bleak but there is plenty to cheer you up there. Even a weekend trip would give you a taste of it, if you can take a little time off ...

Lavandula
Old May 23rd, 2014, 02:30 AM

Winter is a great time to travel - especially to cities. Places like Paris or Prague are some much more romantic in the winter. Queues for museums and palaces are minimal, and you tend to get a better welcome in bars and restaurants than in the height of summer. We frequently travel to mainland Europe in January - Germany is wonderful in the snow so don't underestimate the winter attractions. As long as you wrap up warmly cities like Amsterdam, Budapest, Vienna (I could go on!) are terrific.

Things to bear in mind are that the days are short and daylight is limited, so make an effort to get up early! Christmas markets in cities like Munich or Vienna are extremely popular so you may find flights at that time are expensive. If you wait until January to travel, you will find things a lot cheaper.

Limerick isn't my favourite city, but if you're in UL the area around there is okay. However, because you're on the doorstep of Shannon airport, it's worth keeping an eye on the Ryanair and Aer Lingus websites for bargains. You're also on the doorstep of my favourite county - Clare! A visit to the Burren and West Clare is a must!
Old May 23rd, 2014, 02:32 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Winter is a great time to visit the cities, where there is much to do that is not weather-dependent. I would pick some that you want to see. Perhaps London, Paris, Rome, Barcelona? You can find budget flights between cities at www.whichbudget.com
Old May 23rd, 2014, 03:14 AM

Also consider a trip to Norway or Iceland. You can experience the Polar night in northern Norway, and have a reasonable chance of Northern lights in either country. Wrap up warm of course.

No matter what you decide to do plan in some bad weather leeway, so that you aren't stuck somewhere a long way from your flight home.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the input!
Nice to hear some positive attitudes towards it (=
And yes, unfortunately Limerick is the only city my school offers for study in Ireland, but everyone I know who's gone has still loved it! And I hear traveling in Europe is much easier and convenient than traveling in the States.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 11:18 AM

Travel via train is much easier and more convenient that in the US. Plane travel is similar EXCEPT than the budget airlines have minute luggage allowances - and you need to research these in advance.

Also as far as weather is concerned, not sure where you are from. If from the northern US, europe won't be any colder and Ireland is likely quite a bit milder, as will much of Spain and southern Italy.

But still, don't cut any connections too close since bad weather can cause delays of a day or more.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 11:44 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My first trip to Switzerland was in the winter-time, and it was fabulous (Vevey/Montreux).

I think Amsterdam would be lovely in the winter too.

In a way I think it's easier to travel in cold weather because you don't need to pack as much (heavier clothes & layers but you don't need to wash things hardly at all).