European v. American beef: part II

Mar 30th, 2002, 08:38 AM
BTilke

European v. American beef: part II

Some of you may remember a lively discussion a while back about European versus American steak. There's an article in the New York Times today (www.nytimes.com) that gives an indepth look at beef production in the U.S. and explains why American beef tastes the way it does. Quite interesting and has made me think twice about the merits of European beef.
BTilke (Brussels)
P.S. You have to register to read the NYTimes on the web, but it's free.

Mar 30th, 2002, 02:05 PM
Bessie

thanks for the link. I for one always am curious about all the ins and outs of U.S. beef production....such as which hormones make it taste a certain way, and what the cows are put through before being sent to the slaughter....mmmmm, makes me hungry!

Mar 30th, 2002, 06:42 PM
generalgaltieri

Nasty, the lot of it. Far nicer to think of the merits of Argentine beef !!!!

Mar 30th, 2002, 06:49 PM
mark

Read Fast Food, The Dark Side of the All American Meal - enthralling and scary. That our government can't see a connection between hormone injected fatten cows and fat adolescents is mind boggeling.

Apr 16th, 2002, 01:33 AM
Alex

Well, I don't know about the quality of the meat in the States but it sure tastes good !

And the beef in Europe ? Not very tasty if you ask me !

Alex
The Travel Board : http://www.travel-board.com

Apr 16th, 2002, 03:21 AM
beef

>And the beef in Europe ? Not very >tasty if you ask me !

That could be because it tastes of beef and not of a flavour manufactured in
the industrial corridor along the New Jersey Turnpike.

Apr 16th, 2002, 03:49 AM
beefalso

Beef took the words right out of my mouth...The chicken too tastes better in europe , at least to me..it hasn't been raised in cages , under stress and it is much more flavorful

Apr 16th, 2002, 03:55 AM
x

Fine. It people want hormone free food, they had better be prepared to pay twice as much at the supermarket and/or do what the European do - spend exorbitant tax dollars to support fat-cat farmers.

Besides, I've tried "free-range" chicken and turkey and paid twice the money. Guess what? It tastes exactly the same as the stuff I get in the supermarket.

Apr 16th, 2002, 04:33 AM
xxx

And who exactly do you think pays farm subsidies to American "Fat Cat Farmers""...and there are more of those than there are individuals.

Apr 16th, 2002, 04:54 AM
Florence

In short, on both sides of the Atlantic (and the Pacific too), we get what we pay for ... cheap and tasteless food, or expensive and delicious, and in all cases "poor" farmers who live off our taxes ;-)

As farmers over here say "ça eut payé, mais ça paie plus comme avant" (it used to pay, but it's not the same anymore) ..