Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   European Trivial Trivia! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/european-trivial-trivia-1030353/)

PalenQ Nov 17th, 2014 08:10 AM

European Trivial Trivia!

I thought this could be fun - a trivia thing about Europe.

First Trivial Questions:

1- Beauteax mouches, made famous in Paris, actually originated in this French city, being named after the section of town they cross a river from.

2 - Every early May - 6th I think - this French town hosts an elaborate Jeanne d'Arc Festival and Parade - marking Joan of Arc's seige of this town in her army's battle against the British.

3 - This seaside resort not far south of Barcelona is known as one of Europe's primo gay resorts.

TO BE CONTINUED

If anyone would like to post similar trivial questions about Europe do it!

sanderskn Nov 17th, 2014 08:23 AM

I only know the second one... Orleans.

adrienne Nov 17th, 2014 08:31 AM

1. Bateaux Mouches - Lyon

nukesafe Nov 17th, 2014 08:35 AM

I, unfortunately, could not answer any of the above. I'd like to play, though. Perhaps I'll learn something. (Now that was silly. Of course I'll learn something, as my ignorance of France is encyclopedic compared to most of you.)

bilboburgler Nov 17th, 2014 08:37 AM

What about
1) Sepp Blatter; how does he get away with it?
2) Which ex-PM claims to be unaware that Luxembourg has been operating as a major tax haven for many years?
3) What is the "hood event" and why is it a problem?
4) Which company turned Santa Claus into a jolly red clothed man?

Bedar Nov 17th, 2014 08:41 AM

PalenQ's #3 is Sitges.

adrienne Nov 17th, 2014 08:47 AM

8. What French town names are palindromes?

Pvoyageuse Nov 17th, 2014 09:00 AM

Bilboburger 2 is Jean Claude Junker
4 is Coca Cola

IMDonehere Nov 17th, 2014 09:10 AM

In Barcelona, near the lower end of the La Rambla, is a statue of Columbus, in which direction is he pointing?

Nonconformist Nov 17th, 2014 09:26 AM

1) Sepp Blatter; how does he get away with it?

No one knows that.

Cowboy1968 Nov 17th, 2014 09:30 AM

8. What French towns are palindromes?
Quite many, like Sarras, Noyon, Eze, Callac, Cazac, or Laval.

But what makes Eze and Sarras special?

Pvoyageuse Nov 17th, 2014 09:39 AM

" in which direction is he pointing?" East

flanneruk Nov 17th, 2014 09:46 AM

"4) Which company turned Santa Claus into a jolly red clothed man?"

Probably Frederick Warne & Co in 1906 New York, at least 25 years before the first Coca Cola ad used the character.

There are actually a number of earlier, jolly red-clad Father Christmases around English museums and in 19th century scrap-books. But you specified the first corporate use, and the American personality.

IMDonehere Nov 17th, 2014 10:03 AM

Yes Columbus is pointing in the direction of Libya.

PalenQ Nov 17th, 2014 10:24 AM

bilbo has stumped me on all 4 - I would have said Macy's popularized Santa Claus in his red outfit - wrong, of course.

4-Rin Tin Tin lies in what European animal cemetery and where is it?

5-What part of the European Continent is closest geographically to North America?

6- where would you find a replica of the Statue of Liberty?

IMDonehere Nov 17th, 2014 10:50 AM

I would guess Iceland is the closest to North America?

Rin Tin Tin is buried near Napoléon Bone-apart.

PalenQ Nov 17th, 2014 11:01 AM

IMD - Wrong on both counts - Napoleon has a stuffed dog sitting in the Invalides military museum - right city wrong place - a suburb on the Seine also made famous by Monet in a portrait of its train bridge.

1st Q was the cloest of the European Continental land - not including islands but the land mass from Vosges to Portugal, Norway, etc. No islands, no icebergs.

IMDonehere Nov 17th, 2014 11:10 AM

Rin Tin Tin gets good reviews on Yelp.

Cowboy1968 Nov 17th, 2014 11:13 AM

5. Cabo de Roca, Portugal. At least it's our westernmost point on the Continent (Norway does not count)
6. Paris, obviously.

PalenQ Nov 17th, 2014 11:13 AM

Ran Tin Tin hd a fortunate history - he was found as a lost dog by an American GI in WW1 and taken back to California with the GI - somehow hew got noticed and became famous in pictures. When he died the owner jhad his corpse sent back to France to rest in this rather famous Parisian suburb pet cemetery.