Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   European Trip Help - Help Me Make My Husband Happy! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/european-trip-help-help-me-make-my-husband-happy-226402/)

Becca Jan 6th, 2008 10:03 AM

European Trip Help - Help Me Make My Husband Happy!

My husband and I are scheduled to go on his first and my second European trip in the latter part of May for 13 days. Originally, we had planned to fly into Nice and stay on the French Riviera for a couple of nights before taking a train into Italy and traveling around to the major cities - Venice, Florence and Rome.

We just returned last week from my husband's first trip to NYC. It was the first major city in which he's ever really spent any time. (He doesn't travel to big cities because he has a preconceived notion that he doesn't like big cities.) He only went because I've always wanted to go there over New Year's. And while he put on a brave face, I know he was miserable. His feet hurt from all the walking, he was intimidated by the crowds and the subway, he doesn't care for museums or shopping, etc., etc.

Now I'm making him sound like a miserable traveler (and not a traveler at all) but that's not true. He loves, loves, LOVES the Caribbean. And we aren't those travelers who just take a cruise down there or lock ourselves up at an all-inclusive resort. We have traveled extensively in the Caribbean (major and more secluded islands) and enjoy renting a car for the week and exploring, staying in a villa and making our own meals, going to different secluded beaches, trying out new restaurants. This is his kind of travel.

All this being said, I'm considering re-planning our European trip to better suit his needs. He loves the beach and he loves rural countryside. Instead of hitting the big cities in Italy, I'm considering taking the train from France to Venice (which he does want to see for a day or two) and then heading into Croatia to their beautiful beaches (something he has recently expressed an interest in). Is this do-able? Is it easy to travel by train from Venice to Croatia? Is a car a better idea? Any other ideas for travel along the Italian Riviera? I just want my husband to get out of his comfort zone and explore something new yet have a good time while doing it!

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide me!

Rhea58 Jan 6th, 2008 10:11 AM

quoting:
I'm considering taking the train from France to Venice.

you do mean taking a plane to Venice,right? There are direct flights so that should be easy.

The good news is that Venice will
not be crowded in May & there are
ferries to Croatia, however, I believe they run later in the season.

It does seem a shame to miss out on
all the other places Italy has to offer though.
Other Fodorites should be able to help you.

suze Jan 6th, 2008 10:16 AM

I think it's a great idea to change your trip to something you will both more enjoy. Sorry can't help with Croatia. And you can take a train or fly either one to get to Venice.

LoriS Jan 6th, 2008 10:21 AM

I like the way your husband travels! May is a great time to visit Venice - and I'd suggest taking a flight into Venice. The view flying over and landing at the airport, then taking a motorboat to your hotel is part of the adventure.

I haven't been to the beaches in Croatia, so I can't address that part. But, I would also suggest that it you like driving around, good food, exploring, you can also rent a car in Venice (we rented over by the train station) and then set out to explore the Veneto and Italian lakes.

Good luck!

Travelnut Jan 6th, 2008 10:22 AM

If you're comfortable driving in Italy, maybe he would enjoy a country villa and then forays to a vineyard, some small towns, etc.

So - a week in the Cote d'Azur area, then a week in the Tuscan countryside...

WTnow Jan 6th, 2008 10:24 AM

No, does not sound like cities are for him, so I think you are right in changing your plans. It still sounds like an awful lot of ground to cover in 13 days. Maybe you could fly to save time? If I were you I might do Nice, Venice, Dubrovnik and use an open jaw from there back to home.

Keep in mind also that the beautiful beaches in Croatia are rarely sandy beaches& it probably will not be swim weather there yet in May. We stayed right on a beautiful quiet beach in Dubrovnik and took a taxi or bus into town.

If you go when cruise ship tourists are not there, he would probably enjoy a little of Dubrovnik old town because it is a small area & very beautiful. Gotta walk that wall! You can take a boat tour to lots of islands from there for the day or longer and explore lots of beaches & tiny towns. You can rent a car and drive to bay of Kotor which is gorgeous and an easy drive. We stayed a month in Dubrovnik and loved it.

Also Venice area has wonderful beaches so you could stay right on the beach there like we did. Take the ferry over to visit the city for the day or late into the evening. Go early or stay late to avoid the most tourists.

We stayed in luxury campgrounds in both of these places ( where many Europeans holiday or visit Venice or Dubrovnik) but I am sure it is easy to find a villa there as well.

There are tons of rural area and beaches in both of these areas, so should help him enjoy himself.

If you do not want to go as far as Croatia, you can always rent a car and a villa in Tuscany or Umbria. Save Croatia for his next trip to Europe.

bilboburgler Jan 6th, 2008 10:28 AM

France to Venice by train is doable (my sister did it over night last year)

suze Jan 6th, 2008 10:28 AM

I like that idea of outlying towns and beaches near Venice. Split the trip 1/2 in France and 1/2 around Venice could be perfect imo.

danon Jan 6th, 2008 10:29 AM

"If you do not want to go as far as Croatia, you can always rent a car and a villa in Tuscany or Umbria. Save Croatia for his next trip to Europe."

agree,

Even 13 days in France OR Italy would be a nice trip - lovely countryside and seaside resorts in both.

schnauzer Jan 6th, 2008 12:37 PM

For a very relaxing and serene type holiday, particularly at that time of year I would suggest the Italian lakes. I am not a big city person, however do love Paris!! I found Lake Como to be one of the most peaceful places I have been to. We stayed in Varenna and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Lake Garda has sailing if he likes those types of activities. Something else to think about anyway. Schnauzer

BowenLinda Jan 6th, 2008 12:43 PM

My husband's travel ideas sound similar to your husband's - I've been considering Athens for a day or two and two Greek Islands for the remainder.

ira Jan 6th, 2008 02:01 PM

Hi B,

I'd say that Rome is not going to be his cup of tea.

How about splitting the Italy time between Venice and Florence?

The historical part of F is only about 1 mi square.

You can easily visit Siean and Orvieto as daytrips by bus and train.

((I))

travelgourmet Jan 6th, 2008 02:11 PM

Overnight trains? Are we college students? Fly for anything over 3 hours train journey - anything else is a waste of time, which you don't have a lot of with 13 days.

And the latter part of May is not a time I would count on for beach weather anywhere in Europe. You may find some great days, but nothing I would plan a trip around. If you want to schedule a beach trip for May, do what Europeans do and fly from Europe to Egypt for a few days.

tuscanlifeedit Jan 6th, 2008 02:38 PM

I agree that May is not the ideal time for a beach vacation in most of Europe. You could end with nice weather, or not. And if your husband likes sandy Caribbean beaches, he may be very disappointed.

Many here said Florence: I don't think so. If he hates museums, walking and shopping, I just don't see him liking Florence. I love Florence myself, but it is all about art, architecture, shopping and walking.

So maybe let him know that the beaches in Europe are not at all the same as the Caribbean, and the weather won't be beach weather. Then see what he says.

Christina Jan 6th, 2008 02:46 PM

There's nothing wrong with just not liking big cities, that's just as valid an opinion as liking them.

I think you first plan of taking the train to Venice made sense, because you wanted to spend some time in-between (maybe). But if you don't, it really is a long train trip -- 8 hours. However, I don't think there is any flight from Nice to Venice, so you'd have to go over to Marseille for a flight. That may or may not take more time than the train trip, depending where you are (as well as the hassles flying is nowadays).

hopscotch Jan 6th, 2008 02:47 PM

Since you like the Caribbean you have many choices in the Mediterranean — Balearics, Corsica, Sicily, Sardinia, Malta, Rhodes, Cyprus, Crete, and an untold number of Greek islands. Your May trip is a good 6 weeks before the Europeans can bring their kids. You are pre-season so prices will be good and rooms plentiful. Wing it.

If you want to stay "on land" I recommend San Sebastian and/or Biarritz. They are beautiful laid-back cities. I was in Biarritz one May and virtually had the town and beach to myself. The weather was great and I was body surfing nekd. Lisbon and Barcelona would also suit the man. I love them. They are more cosmo than San Sebastian or Biarritz.

progol Jan 6th, 2008 03:01 PM

I'm with WTNow; I also think a week in the Tuscan countryside would be a good solution. It would get your husband out of the "comfort zone", but in a very gentle and beautiful environment. So Nice, Tuscany, ending in Venice would be a wonderful trip. From your description of your stays in the Caribbean, I'm sure that a rental in Tuscany would suit you well.

Regarding the lake region - while I do like that area a lot, I definitely preferred the Tuscan countryside

Are you set on going to Italy? You could also explore the French Riviera and Provence in 13 days easily.

You've got plenty of good advice here; I'm sure you'll come up with a good itinerary that both you and your husband will enjoy.
Paule

jnjfraz Jan 6th, 2008 03:44 PM

My husband and I do not like crowds so we keep our time in Venice or Florence to a minimum. Both have lots and lots of people.

If you want a beach town you really should consider a few of the towns on the French or Italian riviera. My favorite Italian are Camilla, Lerici or Portovenere. All beautiful, not crowded and very Italian. On the French side there is EZE or St Paul De Vince.

I agree on the Tuscany idea (our very favorite part of Italy) but you have to be willing to drive and explore. If so there are wonderful villages, great food and good wine. Just buy a good map and explore to your heart content AND rember that in Italy all roads on any map lead somewhere. We always stay at Le Selvole in Radda in Chianti. Good rates, a great little village and there are spectacular restaurants in the area. And if you want to see Florence it's easy to drive to Greve and take the bus in for a few hours.

suze Jan 6th, 2008 05:08 PM

travelgourmet~
there's nothing "college student" about taking an overnight train if you spring for a private 2-person cabin in a train with a dining car (or take your own decent food). in some situations it is much more relaxing than getting to and from 2 different airports & a flight.

stormbird Jan 6th, 2008 06:13 PM

Hey Becca - I think you and I are married to the same man!!!!