Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   European Travel with Teenagers (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/european-travel-with-teenagers-834342/)

saraswrld Apr 5th, 2010 06:17 PM

European Travel with Teenagers

What is a good European destination with two parents, a 21 year-old, and two 15 year-olds? Any ideas, or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Two years ago we went to Amsterdam and the whole family loved it! Maybe somewhere like Amsterdam with a good balance of history, culture, and teen-friendly activities?
Thank you.

hausfrau Apr 5th, 2010 06:33 PM

Rome?

I visited for the first time with my older brother when I was 19, at the end of my semester abroad in France, and fell instantly in love. My favorite part was exploring the ruins of Palatine Hill. It remains my favorite "big" European city to this day. Endless attractions, loads of history and culture, friendly locals (at least IMO) and it's very easy to get around the historic center on foot.

Surfergirl Apr 5th, 2010 07:00 PM

I agree that Rome is a great family destination with teens for the same reasons stated as hausfrau, but would also add that the Spanish Steps at night is a reknowned teen hangout, and there are some really good rock concerts in Rome in summer, usually some outdoor festival.

Alternatively, London, for precisely the same reasons.

saraswrld Apr 5th, 2010 08:39 PM

Thank you these suggestions help a lot. Would Greece be a consideration for anyone?

hausfrau Apr 6th, 2010 05:26 PM

Haven't been to Greece (though I'd love to go!) so I can't compare. I imagine that Italy would be slightly easier from a language perspective...and for some reason I think that I would be more comfortable letting teens wander around Rome than, say Athens. I can't tell you exactly why I feel that way, but that's just my 2 cents.

Woyzeck Apr 6th, 2010 05:41 PM

Greece would certainly be do-able. Athens plus maybe a trip over to Crete or another island.

In fact, many of the major cities would probably suit your needs (history, culture, teen-friendly). Berlin, like Amsterdam, has a youthful vibe with layers of history and culture. Barcelona and Madrid. My teen cousins enjoyed Vienna (ferris wheel, Hundertwasser), which you could do with Prague or Budapest. Lots of possibilities. Tell us more.

HappyTrvlr Apr 7th, 2010 12:33 PM

Our teens loved the combination of London and Paris.We used the Eurostar and rented apartments in both cities. Flew into London, and out of Paris.
Also,regarding Athens, I felt safer in Greece than any other country I've ever visited. Greece was one of my all time favorite trips.

saraswrld Apr 7th, 2010 05:49 PM

Thanks again everyone for your input.
I personally would go anywhere because I love experiencing different cultures and seeing the history of a place. The one 15 year old is a different story, she is much more picky about traveling and not much into the historical parts. She enjoys doing outdoor activities like going to beaches or cruising the city on a scooter for example.
Any ideas on how we can make both of us happy?

Seamus Apr 7th, 2010 06:23 PM

Drop her off in Fort Lauderdale as you leave. ;-)

Seriously, at 15 she is old enough to find some things that do interest her wherever you choose - the internet is full of ads for touristic activities. The trick will be deciding how to divvy up the time between what she wants and what others want. Maybe there are some middle ground things that would appeal to all. In Paris, she would probably enjoy the Fat Tire bike tour or Segway tour, and they include enough narration to satisfy the others in the group as well.

enzian Apr 7th, 2010 06:57 PM

Maybe Munich (history, culture, plus the wonderful Deutsches Museum) plus Garmisch-Partenkirchen (great outdoor activities, interesting gorge hikes, paragliding for the older one, and a terrific ice cream cafe. You can visit the famous castles from there.