Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   European Travel/Trivia Quiz #136 (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/european-travel-trivia-quiz-136-a-1156607/)

PalenQ Nov 22nd, 2016 10:23 AM

European Travel/Trivia Quiz #136

1- What 'palace' might people go to in London's south-east suburb of New Eltham? (Not your typical palace!)

2- The Confederation of Cinque Ports (/sɪŋk pɔərts/[1]) is a historic series of coastal towns in Kent and Sussex.[2] It was originally formed for military and trade purposes, but is now entirely ceremonial. It lies at the eastern end of the English Channel, where the crossing to the continent is narrowest. The name is Norman French, meaning "five ports". They were?

3- This German university town has a famous Philosophers' Walk?

4- Where is the International Court of Justice and what is the building it is in called?

5- Middleheim Sculpture Park is an open-air grouping of statues, many done by famous sculptors, making it one of the most prestigious statue gardens in Europe. It is in the suburbs of what city?

6- Where is NATO headquartered? (Large city or even better the suburb).

7- On the Cote d' Azur the Nietzsche Walk links what two places?

8- What EU countries have the fewest land borders with other countries (EU or not)?

9- What EU country(ies) have the most land borders with other countries (EU or not)?

10- https://www.google.com/search?q=borr...HbajB90QsAQIHA
In what lake and just off what city would you find these three islands?

MaineGG Nov 22nd, 2016 12:36 PM

3- Heidelberg
4- The Hague - Peace Palace
6- Brussels
7- Eze Bord de Mer and Eze Village
9- Lago Maggiore - Stresa

hetismij2 Nov 22nd, 2016 01:32 PM

1. Eltham Palace, built by the Courtauld family, on the site of a Norman building.
2. Originally Hastings, Dover, Sandwich, Hythe and New Romney -which was replaced later by Rye.
4. Vredespaleis, Den Haag - Peace Palace, the Hague
5. Antwerpen
6. Brussels
8.Denmark, Portugal
9. France?

Alec Nov 22nd, 2016 02:56 PM

#8 Surely island states like Malta and Cyprus (zero)? One in case of UK and Republic of Ireland, as well as Denmark and Portugal, though Denmark has a bridge connecting it with Sweden (Oresund).

nytraveler Nov 22nd, 2016 05:14 PM

10. Would not call Stresa a city (and if you click down the pics you see the names of the islands in case you want to cheat)

Never heard of Palace in # 1 - although of course I love the Courtauld Institute (assume same family)

flanneruk Nov 22nd, 2016 09:02 PM

"Denmark has a bridge connecting it with Sweden (Oresund)."

If you define Denmark as having two land borders, so has the UK. So the RoI is the only EU country with just one land border border.

WoinParis Nov 22nd, 2016 10:27 PM

4 den Haag.
6 Evere.
8. Uk Portugal. Denmark. Vatican. Andorra. Lichtenstein.
9 Austria France.

quokka Nov 22nd, 2016 10:44 PM

8. Malta has no land borders at all.

Cowboy1968 Nov 23rd, 2016 01:20 AM

Zero: Malta
Zero (disputed): Cyprus
One: Portugal (only with Spain), ROI/UK (with eachother), Denmark (only with Germany).
I doubt that bridges and tunnels qualify as 'land borders'.
Vatican, Andorra and Liechtenstein are not EU member states.

Nine: Germany
Eight: Austria, France (excl. overseas departments or territories)

quokka Nov 23rd, 2016 02:16 AM

10. Italy (in the Italian part of Lago Maggiore)

PalenQ Nov 23rd, 2016 09:52 AM

#8 was frought with problems - I meant to disqualify Malta and Cyprus and mini-states and pseudo-states like Vatican and San Marino. Land borders do not include tunnels or bridges for this purpose.

Was thinking of Ireland; U.K. and Portugal. But guess Denmark would also count.

PalenQ Nov 23rd, 2016 11:23 AM

MaineGG and Hetismij got 8 correct ones

cowboy got #9

#8- yes I was aiming for Ireland, UK, Portugal and Denmark.

Will have to make next quiz a bit tougher.

bilboburgler Nov 23rd, 2016 11:11 PM

I don't think you can drop out Malta and Cyprus, they are significantly bigger than the likes of Vatican not in EU, Lich not in EU, Andora not in EU etc, and of course San Marino (not in the 21st centuary).

PalenQ Nov 24th, 2016 08:20 AM

Right I should have prefaced, "of countries that have a land border with neighboring countries"