Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   European Toy Stores (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/european-toy-stores-382510/)

Tat Dec 15th, 2003 11:43 AM

European Toy Stores

Anyone had ever went to Euro toy store ?
Any advise ? Are Euro toys any interest to us ? Will you consider it as a great gift ?

Thanks

gottatravel_europe Dec 15th, 2003 12:37 PM

What are "Euro toys"? European toy stores are much the same as those in America (are you American - I can't tell by your use of the language)... especially so if you go to Toys'R Us or Walmart.... the biggest difference is when you push the button it talks in "Euro language". I guess I don't know what you're looking for! Good day.

Christina Dec 15th, 2003 12:51 PM

I have looked at toys abroad. They may not be of interest to you, but they may. Some of them are well known in the US and sold in more expensive toy stores -- I'm thinking of those German stuffed animals, forget the name.

I think that would be funny to have a talking doll or animal that spoke in French. I would like to find Trivial Pursuit in Spanish, has anyone seen such a thing?

jenifer Dec 15th, 2003 02:24 PM

Toys are toys, pretty much. I'm sure there are differences in the toys you'd find in Europe vs. elsewhere, but many will be the same. They would be a fine souvenir or gift to bring back for a child, but I would not think most adults would like them just because they came from Europe. They would only want them if they would truly like the toy, and that's too indivdual to even begin to guess at here.

I am guessing that you have a feeling that Europe is 100% completely different from the US from this and other posts. It is, and it isn't. Movies here in the states may or may not be boring. Same for movies in Paris or any other European cities. Toys in Europe are fun for children, just as toys in the states are. You will find many, many options for entertainment in any European city that you would choose to go to, and many are similar to what you'd find in the states - symphonies, operas, plays, musicals, movies, art museums, sight-seeing, bars, restaurants, etc. Many will have a different feel being European, but there are quite a few similarities. :)

bigtyke Dec 15th, 2003 05:23 PM

Many toys in the smaller, specialty toy stores in the US are from Europe. In my store I carried Playmobil (germany), BRIO (sweden), Chicco (Italy) and other brands. It is estimated that there are about 120,000 different toys available. Toys R US carries about 9,000 and Wal-mart about 4,000. SO as you can see, there are many toys that aren't found in the typical US discount store. Even allowing for duplication, there are probably 30,000 or so truly different toys.

I would suggest knowing what kind of toys the person likes, and then if you happen to find one in Europe, then get it. I certainly would not recommend getting a toy just because it was from Europe.

One toy store owner I talked to once said that if one went to the Nuremburg toy fair, he would get a distorted view of the importance of wooden toys. I imagine that is true of the European toys stores also. Make sure it has good play value for the recipient/

Also try to get a knowledge of what the toy should cost. Earlier this year I (living in Arizona) sold a German toy on Ebay to a customer in Denmark!

stephen1957 Dec 16th, 2003 12:47 AM

The only toy/game which comes to mind in this category in England are regional varieties of "Monopoly" - you can get sets where the locations on the board are particular to different parts of the country - for example you can get a Newcastle version, Manchester, Sunderland etc.

cova Dec 16th, 2003 02:26 AM

Hi Christina,

as you are heading to Sevilla during the next year, check "El Corte Ingles". You will be able to find a Trivial Pursuit in spanish. One game that is being pushed this Christmas is Cranium, but I think that the questions are adapted to every country, very adapted, so you might prefer to get the Trivial instead ...

http://multitienda.elcorteingles.es/...6&tpam=scc

Rgds, Cova

Tat Dec 16th, 2003 07:45 AM

The reason for the question been that I wanteds to know wheather to spend time going to toy stores in Germany and France or skip it and shop for clothes more.
I was kind of hoping that Euro Toy Stores have some types of toys we don't have here in States. My daughter will come back to school and I wanted her to bring little something for her classmates. that is it. Easy...

Thanks

missypie Dec 16th, 2003 08:26 AM

German toy stores have nice painted wooden toys (e.g. pull toys for babies, etc.) Also, they have some nice puzzles. In eastern Europe we bought cool wooden toys in Prague and very nice cloth puppets in Budapest.

Bitter Dec 16th, 2003 08:33 AM

I would suggest you shop for things you want. Kids' "wants" are often dictated by their exposure to (local) media and their friends, so a unique "Euro" toy may not translate. Of course, you can buy many toys in Europe that are the same or similar as those available in the US. One thing you might find, as we did, was that certain toys may be available in Europe (particularly from European companies) before being available in the US. That was kind of neat.

Tat Dec 16th, 2003 08:34 AM

See, that is what I mean, so I'll have to go...
Thanks guys

Christina Dec 16th, 2003 09:23 AM

gracias, Cova -- you are right, I will be in Sevilla in late March, but I want to buy one for my brother and SIL because she is from Central America and he speaks Spanish, also(and the kids do, mas o meno). So, I thought it would be fun to get them for a Christmas gift. I cannot find one mentioned on the Hasbro co. web site, although I thought they probably made one.

oh, well, if I can't find one now I can get one for next year.

grandmere Dec 16th, 2003 11:43 AM

Steiff is the brand name of stuffed animals made in Germany, Christina.

Tat, Au Nain Bleu, on rue St-Honore in Paris, would be an upscale place to check out French toys.