Reload this Page >

European Telephone Cards

Search

European Telephone Cards

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2001, 05:20 PM
JJW

European Telephone Cards

Have you used an European telephone card? I'll be in Spain, France and Italy and will need to call the U.S. from time to time to check on business and children. Do I understand this right ... I purchase one for each country and have a pre-paid time alottment. Is this an economical way to stay in touch? Any other suggestions?

Old May 4th, 2001, 07:38 PM
Debbie

JJW, That is what I have used before. I used a company at www.prepaidcall.net and the rates were very reasonable but it was kind of a pain to purchase for each country I was in. I will be in three countries again this year and would like to find a better system.

Old May 4th, 2001, 08:11 PM
Sue

Several people have said that they buy prepaid international cards from Sam's Club/Costco, etc. You can call from all countries and I think you can "recharge" the card by phone when you run out. I would do a search, but I haven't had a lot of luck with that lately.

Old May 4th, 2001, 08:17 PM
Bob Brown

I bought telecartes in France and Switzerland to use in the public phones. <BR>For me, I found it to be the best and cheapest way to call numbers in both Europe and the USA. In Paris, you can find real phone booths with doors that open and close. I also found them in Switzerland. <BR>You actually step inside, close the door for privacy and quiet, insert your card in the slot, and look at the LED display. The numbers tell you how many units you have left. If I figure I have enough time left, then dial the number I want to reach in the States. While I am talking I can judge how much time I have left by how fast the meter moves. <BR>Because of the 6 hour time differential between France and EDT, it was usally afternoon before I figured someone would be in the office. Or it was much later than that before I thought someone would be at home. Given the large number of telephone facilities on the streets of Paris, I found that I could call when the time was right. I know once I looked at my watch, and it was 9 AM in Atlanta, so I stopped in a convenient phone booth on the sidewalk and called. Then I continued on my way to the next destination. <BR> <BR>In Switzerland in the small towns I usually had to find the post office. There were always telephones at the post office.

Old May 4th, 2001, 08:39 PM
Andrea

Phone cards are the way to go.The trick is NOT to recharge them,throw them away.Those rates are outrageous.Over the years I have looked out for cards that are on sale,buy the ones w.most minutes.You can avoid buying different ones for each country if you buy MCI world.com or AT&T cards in USA.If you should have units left over at least you can use them up back in the States.I buyn a couple of 500 minute cards at Costco for my 2 week trip.If you should run out of time,you can always pick up a card in the country you are in-they are a bargain in Europe,just don't buy them in large increments. <BR> Hotels have a way of blocking these cards in your room but go down to the lobby,wave the card and they'll tell/point you to the closest phone where the card will work. <BR> For longer stays you can buy a cell phone that uses the micro chip from a phone card .Don't rent cell phones,they are expensive w/loads of tag- on charges.You can buy one for abour $50-recharger included.That's what my mom did.She goes on lots of trips w/ students.The big plus is that she can make and receive calls.In Europe cell phones don't charge for incoming calls,so I end up calling her!

Old May 4th, 2001, 08:55 PM
sher

I bought a sprint card at Costco and it worked fine from Germany. But now I pay $3.00/month on my home MCI account for .17/min weekdays and .09 on weekends to Europe and it comes with an 800 number to call from overseas. This gives me calling access to the US for the same rate and it charges my home phone for the calls. (no cards, no recharging)

Old May 5th, 2001, 04:09 AM
JJW

Thanks, everybody. You've given me some good ideas and suggestions.

Old May 14th, 2001, 04:55 AM
Meg

Have others used this MCI service from abroad? Any troubles accessing the 800 number? I'm going to be in France & Ireland and would like to find one card that would work for both.

Old May 14th, 2001, 10:42 AM
Linda

Please be aware that an 800 number from overseas is NOT free. You will pay international rates for calling America from that country.

Old May 15th, 2001, 10:48 AM
carol

I bought an MCI pre-paid phone card at Long's after getting info about it at the MCI 800-830-9444 number. It was supposed to be 24 cents/minute from Europe to U.S. Unfortunately, my card didn't have a "world service code" number on it, and I never couldn't use it, despite repeated calls to MCI operators. Every time I've called MCI about it, I get a different story.

Old May 15th, 2001, 11:16 AM
sherry

If you have MCI long distance service on a home line, you are issued a calling card. A basic calling plan that extends to your calling card with MCI is about $5.95 per month. For an additional $3.00 per month they will extend a calling plan for International calls and the rates are very reasonable. I used this card in Italy last year and I really could not believe how reasonable the rates are. Some people suggest initiating the international service before traveling abroad and discontinuing this service once you return home. It was very easy to use. Each country has an access code and after dialing this code you dial the number on your calling card and pin then the number you wish to call. I did not use the 800 number to call home, because calls to your residence are even less expensive then to other numbers. This is the way the policy used to be. This year I used a prepaid telecarte I purchased in France from the Tabac.

Old May 15th, 2001, 11:45 AM
John

Am familiar with the telefonica prepaid card in Spain. There is now open competition in the telecommunications marketplace there and I understand you can buy various brand prepaid cards at newstands, tobacco shops, etc. <BR>Prices start at 1000 pesetas (about $5.50 US.). <BR>As in the US the LD rates are constantly changing. You will either see your card balance on a LCD screen or hear the balance remaining. <BR>Calling cards, such offered by MCI, Sprint, etc. can be very expensive to use when calling back to the US from overseas. <BR>Also I have had MCI LD at home & when calling back from europe last year was charged an operator assist fee as well as a 29 cents a minute rate on Sunday when the calls to Spain are 9 cents a minute. <BR>I have not heard of any pre-paid TIME allotment cards for international calling.