European River Cruises?

Search

European River Cruises?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2005, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
European River Cruises?

I posted this on the Cruise board as well. I'm trying to plan a spring trip to Europe for me and my DH. Want to be gone for 2 weeks but don't have too large of a budget. Thinking about a cruise for 1 of the two weeks, but need to see if it's in the budget and hear about experiences...

Has anyone ever been on one? Which line, where to, MY Dh and I like cruises and I was thinking about doing one of these? We're early 30s what is the crowd like? I expect older? Thoughts on them?
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 06:35 AM

I thought I answered this yesterday.
Just returned from Grand Circle
Xmas tour down the Danube.
Loved it...and thought the price was
in line.
Average age 60's...but fit mostly.
Cruise at night...off the ship by
9:00 am, if you prefer...(my style)
tours if you like or do it alone.
(some of each was just great).
Food was excellent.
Not dressy...slacks, sweaters fine
if you return to boat late from your
city visit.
Recommend it.
Plan to do another this year...would
probably do the French trip ending
in Monaco...if we hadn't spent so
much time in France.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 12:56 PM

How was the weather during the Christmas season? I know it is unpredictable but ??? I agree that the price is right for the cruise. Thanks
June
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 01:48 PM

Smiley
My wife andI are 60 and we love these river cruises. We prefer Grand Circle but the average age is much older than you. UNIWORLD or some other might be better for your age group.
W like the idea of "bringing your hotel with you." Inclusive meals are outstanding on all the lines as well as more economical in view of the US Dollar weakness to Euro's. You have a lot of free time and the right amount of tours and lectures on shipboard.
We have done the Rhone to Paris, Holland at Tulip Time and a Baltic cruise (Budapest, Vienna.) All were terrific and good travel "buys." Look for some web source of critiquing the various lines and ask about your age group.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 03:25 PM

Grand Circle and Vantage are two that cater specifically to older travelers, so I suggest that you consider Viking instead. We took one of Viking's Christmas market cruises in November 2003. We had quite a range of ages on our sailing, but I would say on average still older than you (more like 50's).

The ships dock right in town. There's usually an included excursion that you can join or you're free to simply explore on your own. Meals are open seating. There's not much in the way of evening entertainment but on many nights, the ship stays docked until late evening so you can still go ashore.

What is your budget? You can often find specials on early spring sailings if you don't mind taking a chance on iffy weather. Go to Viking's website and sign up for their email specials. I recall getting offers for $450pp for a week's cruise through the Netherlands for late March/early April sailings. We live in southern California so actually prefer the cooler temperatures. It's a nice change for us.