European Honeymoon Ideas??

Nov 15th, 1999, 02:10 PM
Norie

European Honeymoon Ideas??

My fiancee and I are planning a two week mid-July 2000 honeymoon to Europe and are looking for suggestions. We want to relax a bit by a warm beach and experience some small countrysides and also hit a few cities, but we don't want to spend all our time running around!! We are thinking Italy and Switzerland. Any specific suggestions would be much appreciated!

Nov 15th, 1999, 03:13 PM
pam

Would that be 'European-honeymoon'... ideas or 'European...honeymoon ideas'? 'Cause I suspect the two are different....

Sorry, couldn't resist

Nov 16th, 1999, 07:34 AM
kristi

Hi Norie. Just so you're aware, it is estimated that Italy will be receiving 3 times as many tourists in 2000 because of the Jubilee which will not only make July, a highly traveled month anyway, very crowded but it will also no doubt be much more expensive. If you're set on Italy, I would recommend finding hotel space before you book your airfare as a lot of it has probably been reserved by the package tour companies.

I'm afraid I don't have much alternative advice as we don't ever travel in the summer and we typically don't go to beaches in Europe but you might look into Greece and/or Turkey, either a cruise through the islands or maybe a stay on one or two. Or maybe Paris combined with the Loire Valley (charming countryside) and then off to a beach somewhere. Or Spain/Portugal, a little off the beaten path, but the scenery in Southern Spain is wonderful, the food is great and there's lots to see. I haven't been to Portugal, but my friends who have been rave about it. Lots of charming towns, a big city (Lisbon). Sorry I can't be of more help.

Nov 16th, 1999, 07:50 AM
Rex

I agree with the advice to consider Spain and especially Portugal - - almost twice the trip for yor money (especially compared to Switzerland). I keep trying to find something great about Switzerland - - very pleasant people WHILE THEY ARE TAKING ALL YOUR MONEY!

As for Italy, Rome will surely be crowded and very hig-priced (supply, demand - - remember that old thing?) but surely there will be plenty of happy vacationers in Italy next year. For a great overview series, check out Passport to Italy in www.the-times.co.uk - - to find it click on "Back Issues" and then go to 13th November (by the way, this was first posted yesterday on LonelyPlanet.com/ThornTree - - another very useful message board). It's a 13 part series all in that one day's edition and makes for terrific reading, especially some regions of Italy that are lesser known like Calabria, Ravenna and Sardinia. somewhat surprisingly, nothing on sciliy, and that MIGHT make another good (and less crowded?) Italian getaway. I was just in Italy last month and the Sicily board of T&T seems to have gone a spending jag. I have no idea if it's expensive to get there or stay there.

Best wishes,

Rex

Nov 16th, 1999, 07:48 PM
Cheryl Z.

I think Spain and Portugal fit the bill for you, especially the Estoril coast of Portugal. But July is big tourist month anywhere in Europe too so keep that in mind.