Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

European destination for 27yo and 23yo brother and sister

Old Jun 26th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Fodorites, I am looking for some ideas and hope you can help.
DD, 23, is finishing a stay in London on a 6 month visa. DS, 27, is thinking of traveling with her for a week this summer. I am looking for suggestions on an itinerary for them that will keep them busy. He does not shop and she doesn't want to spend too much time (or money) in clubs and I want them to get along! LOL. I do not see them spending alot of time hiking or sitting on a beach etc. Museums and historical places probably better.
They will be doing this on the cheap, so not looking for trip planning here, just destination ideas.
They are thinking Scandinavia; good idea?
Have ruled out France, Belgium, Prague, Berlin, and southern Europe. They would like to visit Russia, but too expensive and time running out for getting visas.
Any ideas most appreciated.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 08:22 AM

Berlin should be first on their list, it is a growing dynamic student destination. From there and depending on inclinations they can visit dozens of 'hot' spots.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks GSteed, but DD was just in Berlin last month. This is her second 6 month stay in London and she has taken a lot of short trips, which is why she loves living in London. She is looking for some place she hasn't been yet. For ex, I think Prague would be a good destination, but she has already been there.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 08:41 AM

Amsterdam or Budapest.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 08:43 AM

... Greek Islands - been there, done that as well?
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 08:45 AM

What about Krakow, Poland? I was there last year for a couple days and really enjoyed the city.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 11:09 AM

Scandinavia is generally expensive (especially if they want some proper food and a drink or two).

Central Europe is a great destination for those on a budget, and cheap flights can usually be found.
- I am a Budapest enthusiast (just declaring my bias): accommodation not too expensive (but I haven't checked out hostels); cheap meals if you want, and superior meals at prices that are not too bad; lots to see and do (including shopping and clubbing, but you can fill a week without doing either).
- Prague is a bit more atmospheric, but also more expensive and, for me, it does not have the buzz that Budapest has.
- Vienna is a bit more expensive, but not horrendously so. Strong on art and history, but overall a bit like a staid old lady. They might like it better in 30 years' time.

Croatia also has a lot to offer at prices that are not excessive, but I don't know how easy it is to get there cheaply. Good for scenery and for towns and cities where the past seems very close.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 11:15 AM

Are you going by train? If so i always refer questions like this to three great sources:
1- Fodorites - a mind-boggling number of folks here who thru years of experience can answer any question, no matter how arcane.
2-www.ricksteves.com - great tips on trains, budget flights, railpasses and lots else
3-www.budgeteuropetravel.com on the home page request their free European Planning & Rail guide that is a great itinerary planner even if not going by rail - an itinerary planner for each country.
One criteria for younger travelers could be the cost factor - Scandinavia is frighteningly expensive, especially if you like things like pubs and cafes. whilst Greece, Portugal and the old East Bloc can be much much cheaper. UK, Switzerland also very pricey - though i won't have to tell that to DD after a 6-month stay in London.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 06:01 AM

For your age group i highly recommend getting a copy of Let's Go Europe - especially for clues on inexpensive youth-oriented accommodations and activities. Written by US college students - been around a long time - the Bible for American backpacker youths
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 06:42 AM

With the criteria given and the list of eliminations, I'd suggest Spain and/or Portugal. As noted Scandinavia is quite expensive so it wouldn't be "on the cheap".
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 06:47 AM
LJ

Scandanavia is not only very hard to do on the cheap, it is very hard to get hostel space and other budget accomodation in, mainly because, IME, the youth there love to travel their own country-side more than any other European young people I have met.

Given that Berlin is out, I agree with the Portugal or Holland (Amsterdam) suggestions...the first for budget and the second for things to do for young people.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 09:02 AM

Barcelona?
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Yesterday, DD had definately decided on Scandinavia; today she is rethinking things. DS is letting her plan. Only definate is his flight to London on the new Zoom airline.
They each have been to Spain and Greece briefly, but want to avoid the worst heat. How is Spain and Portugal in summer? DS speaks Spanish so that would be handy.
DD knows Scandinavia is expensive, (especially if her brother wants to go to bars).
She has been to Prague but now is thinking about eastern Europe.
Thanks for all the advice about planning travel in Europe. They each have been fortunate to travel a fair amount and expect to travel much more. (DD's goal is 50 countries.)
They only have a week, so thinking 2 or 3 cities tops. Mainly looking for recommendations for itinerary that they can enjoy together.
Thanks much.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 01:22 PM

Scandinavia is expensive if you expect to eat, never mind drinking. I had fish and chips in Bergen, at the fish market, for about $18. I had a bowl of soup for $25. Coffee is about $5 per cup and there are no refills.

Scandinavia is a beautiful destination but hardly affordable.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 01:27 PM
carolinetaylor

Amsterdam...plenty to keep both busy. Great for those around that age

Old Jun 28th, 2007, 05:37 AM

folks that age flock to Amsterdam for a variety of reasons - a very youth oriented town, especially in summer
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 11:55 PM

Greece the islands and the Peloponissos.They could buy an all inclusive package and fly to any island they wish..
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for suggestions. They have decided to go to Switzerland and Austria, w/ perhaps side trip into Germany.