Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   European Delivery Options (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/european-delivery-options-15535/)

D.Rucks Jul 10th, 1997 04:20 PM

European Delivery Options

Has anyone purchased a Mercedes, picked it up in Germany, enjoyed a driving vacation, dropped off the car in Munich for shipment back to the States, all of this accomplished as a pleasurable experience? I'm interested in the smoothly run transactions, as well as the frustrating moments to avoid. Thank you and happy driving.

Tricia Jul 11th, 1997 09:49 PM

Hi, thought you might not get a response to your question since not too many people do what you have planned so I thought I would pass on the name of a book I found on my bookshelf that is written by 2 people who may have done this and for sure they have traveled extensively by car and know Europe/American auto dealers well. Chp 1 is called, "How to Get Rolling: Buying, Renting or Leasing a New or Used Vehicle- VW to Mercedes--bring it home, too!" It basically says two major ways to go- order here or there. Shipside Car Delivery, Inc., 1-800/223-0919 and Auto Europe 1-800 223-5555. For information on importing a car contact U.S. Customs, Washington D.C.(202 556-8195 and Dept of Transportions Washington D.C. (202)426-1693.These phone numbers might be outdated so try information if they don't work.
The people who wrote this phamplet are David Shore Pildas and Patriacia J. Campbell, l437 Lucile Ave., Los Angeles, Ca 90026. Hope they are still there. Good Luck

Tricia Jul 20th, 1997 01:04 PM

Hi, hope you saw my message with the new website I found EUROTRIP GUIDE, with information on buying a car in Europe and here is a website on buying Mercedes Benz in Europe--Mercedes-Benz USA http://www.usa.mercedes-benz.com, Mercedes-Benz Main Site is www.mercedes-benz.com/ and Mercedes-Benz UK is www.mercedes-benz.co.uk. Do I get to go for a ride in it!!

Elaine Baird Aug 6th, 1997 07:06 AM

My husband and I are scheduled to pick up an E320 outside of Stuttgart, on the Mercedes European Delivery Plan. As far as we can tell, it is a really good way to buy a Mercedes, if yu have the time use the 15 days driving it around (we do). We plan to drop the car off in Nice, France for its return trip home.
I asked the EDP people at Mercedes why more people didn't seem to use this option. The reply varied ... most people don't have the time to do it so that it becomes economical. A very insightful comment, however, wasmade by someone in the Mercedes travel dept ... more people do it as repeaters, than as first timers. They do not publicize the program at all (as you have probably figured out).
We got talked into it by a friendof ours who collects Mercedes, and drives them all over the world. We talked ouselves right into it. Call Mercedes and get their packet. As far as we can tell, it's a GREAT deal.

Elaine Baird Aug 6th, 1997 07:06 AM

My husband and I are scheduled to pick up an E320 outside of Stuttgart, on the Mercedes European Delivery Plan. As far as we can tell, it is a really good way to buy a Mercedes, if yu have the time use the 15 days driving it around (we do). We plan to drop the car off in Nice, France for its return trip home.
I asked the EDP people at Mercedes why more people didn't seem to use this option. The reply varied ... most people don't have the time to do it so that it becomes economical. A very insightful comment, however, wasmade by someone in the Mercedes travel dept ... more people do it as repeaters, than as first timers. They do not publicize the program at all (as you have probably figured out).
We got talked into it by a friendof ours who collects Mercedes, and drives them all over the world. We talked ouselves right into it. Call Mercedes and get their packet. As far as we can tell, it's a GREAT deal.

DRucks Aug 7th, 1997 10:09 AM

Thanks, Tricia and Elaine, for responding to my question. I appreciate your efforts. Elaine, do you know the length of time between ordering your E320, confirmation of order and European Delivery (pickup) date? I am asking this in reference to getting airfare lined up and the rest of the trip itinerary. Also, thank you for the tip that you are going to Nice. I imagine we will wander in the same direction (Stuttgart, Freiburg, Lyon, Avignon, Provence, Riviera). Thanks again. Of course you can ride in the car, Tricia.