European Airline Baggage Allowances

Aug 3rd, 2003, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

European Airline Baggage Allowances

We are flying to Dublin via Gatwick soon.
Because frequent flier miles were involved, I am flying US Airways to Gatwick, and then continuing on to Dublin via Aer Lingus.
From Dublin, I am flying later to Munich.

Here is my concern: luggage weight allowance.
I am told by Aer Lingus reps in the USA that I may take 44 pounds (20 kilos)of luggage, total, without paying extra! If I am over the limit, I am charged 30 @euro; regardless of the amount over the limit.

If this procedure is true, and both of us are over the limit, or might be, we should cram one bag full and lighten the others.

I called twice, talked with 2 different agents, after an interminable period on hold, but neither time did I get really insightful and informative answers. The responses were vague and did not improve with requests for clairification.

Has anybody had actual experience with the Aer Lingus weight rules? What really does seem to happen at check in?
Aug 3rd, 2003, 01:46 PM

From 1 1/2 years ago I recall Aer Lingus did not charge our family Heathrow-Dublin even though our bags were overweight because our flight not very full. The overhead bins are super small, I tried to get away with a 22 inch piece of luggage but it wasn't allowed. In my experience they are much more strict with carry on vs. checked bags.
Aug 3rd, 2003, 01:48 PM

Sorry, may have been Gatwick we flew out of, can't remember.
Aug 3rd, 2003, 02:17 PM

Hi Bob
Actually you are asking an excellent question. Many people do not realize the in's and out's of luggage restrictions. At American Airlines where I used to work if you used Aadvantage Miles the ticket was considered a "thru fare" and since American would be the over the water carrier they would be the "governing" carrier..meaning that you would go by their luggage restrictions. Now if you checked in on your initial departure and your bags were considered excess/overweight...monies would be collected at the time of the first segment of the trip...on behalf of American and the connecting carrier.
I hope that helps. I used to work in International Reservations and I could give a dissertation on luggage restrictions. It gets complicated on International routes because if you ever travel on a paying fare it depends on if your fare is calculated as a "through" one or a "broken one" (meaning that you are using a US Airways fare and also an Aer Lingus one combined..then you have to go by each carriers rules and go with the more RESTRICTIVE)
I hope this helps you. Have a nice trip.
Aug 3rd, 2003, 03:54 PM

topping for bob..
Aug 3rd, 2003, 04:12 PM

US Airways procedure has been to weigh the luggage of all family members together. The limit is 2 pieces per person that can be checked. Therefore, if there are 2 of you traveling together, and, if you have 4 or less pieces of checked luggage, and combined, it weighs less than 88 pounds, you won't incur a charge.
Aug 3rd, 2003, 05:26 PM

Bob. I recently flew US Airways to Boston and then Aer Lingus to Shannon. US Airways checked our luggage all the way through from PIT to SNN and never mentioned a thing about the size or weight.
I realize that the transfer to Aer Lingus for us occured in the US, but maybe they will check you all the way through. I was told that Aer LIngus and US Airways have an agreement to transfer luggage.
On our return on Aer Lingus, I had no way of weighing the luggage. We checked in at Shannon and no one said a word. Each of us had a 24" rolling soft sided bag which we checked and one fit under the seat zippered tote.
Of course, we had to pick up the luggage in Boston on the last leg of the return journey for customs.
It is a dilema, because I just do not see how you would know on the return how much you had.

Aug 3rd, 2003, 07:01 PM

I think I had the same thing happen as someone above but it was a long time ago so might not be current policy (they let an excess piece through with no cost because it wasn't full).

That would have to be a pretty big bag to weigh more than 44 pounds, though. On my last trip, I had a very full 25" suitcase (including about 6 books in it and 6 pairs of shoes) and that only weighed 35 pounds at the counter. I remember being surprised as I expected it to be more.
Aug 28th, 2003, 10:36 AM

I'm about to fly on Aer Lingus for the first time Chicago to Dublin, then Dublin to Edinburgh. The information on their website mentioned 44 pounds between DUB-EDI, but seemed to allow up to 2 pieces of checked luggage on either Transatlantic or the shorter flight. Is the 44 pounds per bag or total per passenger.
I too have had to sit through 30 minutes plus on their 1-800 # in the US and have never received responses from e-mail to their website.

Can anyone clarify it for me?

Also, anyone who has recently flown Aer Lingus transatlantic- did you have to pay for drinks or movies?
thanks
Aug 28th, 2003, 10:53 AM

The limits are per person for Aer Lingus.
The reason it is only 44kilos is that Gatwich to Dublin is a different class than transatlantic (which allows for 2 pieces , each up to 70lbs).

The carry-on size for AL is smaller than most other airlines. They don't always enforce it, but I think that depends on where you are boarding, and how full the flight is. I am of the opinion that it is not worth them telling me my carryon is too big, and making me check it, so I went out and bought a new smaller rolling bag to use as my carryon.

On the flight from Chicago - Shannon and back - the movies were free. If you get on a newer or retrofitted plane, you will get one with screens at each seat, and 10 channels to choose from. We loved it.
Aug 28th, 2003, 11:02 AM

thanks for the update Debbie. I had a feeling the weight was per person.

This board is amazing- think of a question-ask and get it answered. I was on hold with Aer Lingus 1-800 # longer than it took you to respond to my post! : )
thanks again

Aug 28th, 2003, 11:10 AM

I have a similar question. I'll be flying soon on Delta and Air France from LA to Paris via Atlanta, and then to Venice, then home via Paris and Cincinnati, on a frequent flyer ticket (too many changes, but with a free ticket, what can you do?). Will be in business class or first class, depending on the aircraft.

I'm planning to take one rolling bag, 20x14x10, I think, and a large "handbag." I'm hoping I can do carry-on only and not check my bags. Does anyone know if Air France will let me do this between Paris and Venice? Also, I'm planning to put heavy things in my handbag as it is less likely they will weigh it. Does that sound like a good plan?
Aug 28th, 2003, 11:44 AM
sandi

It's the Dublin to Munich flight that is determining your weight limits.

If you were only flying US/Gatwick/Dublin r/t, you could go with the 70-lbs. but with the Munich segment they're giving you the limits for a domestic flight within the Continent.

Search this Thread