Notices

Europe with young teens

Dec 6th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Europe with young teens

We're taking a trip to Europe this summer for my 16 year old daughter to sing with her high school choir in London (3 days), Paris (2 days), Florence (1 day), and Rome (3 days) and taking our 11 and 13 year old as well. We have 3 days before the tour and 3 days after the tour do do our own thing. Planning at this point on Sorrento for the last 2 days with quick visits to Pompei and Capri. The front end we're not sure. Ireland, Scotland, more time in London, more time in France, something totally different??? Any suggestions that kids this age would enjoy?
Dec 6th, 2013, 09:07 PM

Is the choir singing in London, Paris, Florence and Rome? I'm a bit confused.

I would definitely add more time to London, go straight there from your home base and settle in, there is so much to see that you will easily fill your days. Windsor castle is a good day trip with the village of Eton to explore as well.

It will take you most of a whole day to get from Rome to Sorrento, by the time you check out of one hotel and then find your Sorrento hotel and check in there. Pompeii will need at least a half a day and I would imagine Capri would be a full day to see it properly. A better alternative to consider would be to stay in Rome and do a day trip to Ostia antica, which is an ancient roman town, but only a half hour or so out of Rome. Or you could also do a day trip to one of the little towns out of Rome. It will be more relaxing than packing up and moving every two or three days.

Something to keep in mind is that every time you move towns you will lose a minimum of half a day by the time you check out of a hotel, find the train station, sit on the train or plane, then find the next hotel and check in. So if you change hotels 6 times in your holiday then that's a minimum of 3 full days you lose.

I hope you have a lovely trip. We heard an American school choir sing impromtu on the steps of the town hall in San Gimignano, it's a very fond memory.
Dec 7th, 2013, 01:32 AM

My 20 yr old daughter is looking forward to the Harry Potter tour in london..yours might too..check it out..!
Dec 7th, 2013, 05:40 AM

As someone who has traveled with kids, I recommend staying in London at the front end for a bonus few days and just staying in Rome at the other end.

London is very fun for kids! Plus... you will be jetlagged, so a few days on your own schedule is a good thing before the chaos of the group tour. Click on my name and look for the trip report with London and Paris - we were just there with similar aged kids and lots of ideas. Some of the favorite things were the Harry Potter walking tour + studios (I have a HP fanatic), climbing O2 (a big hit), and the bike tours.

enjoy!
Dec 7th, 2013, 07:12 AM

Add days to London and Rome instead of shortchanging these incredible cities.
Dec 7th, 2013, 08:25 AM

Assuming you're buying your own air tickets, get open-jaw ones, into London, out of Rome or Naples. (Click multi-city on the airline website.) Such tickets should cost about the same as round-trip and save you the time and money to backtrack.

Also you should be in your city of departure the night before you leave. In Italy, you can't count on a tight schedule working out; things happen: strikes, traffic jams, accidents, etc. If you miss your flight, especially in the high season, it will likely take days and a lot of money (last minute tickets) to get 5 people home.

If you have 3 nights for Capri and Pompeii, you could base in Naples, go to Capri one day, and on the other day see Pompeii and the Archeological Museum in Naples (displaying fine artifacts that have been removed from Pompeii). And fly out of Naples on the third day. However, you'll be missing the Amalfi coast nearby.

You can also do Pompeii as a long day from Rome, either independently or on a bus tour.

But there's lots to see in Rome, much more than 3 days worth. Ditto London, where there's also many interesting excursions, day trips out of the city.

Search this Thread