Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Europe to U.S. converter/adaptor (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/europe-to-u-s-converter-adaptor-197335/)

Karen Apr 10th, 2002 02:44 PM

Europe to U.S. converter/adaptor

Bought a lamp in Italy and don't want to have it rewired for U.S. electrical currency. Where do our European travelers purchase converters and adaptors when they travel to the U.S.?? Hopefully the conv/adaptor can be found online. Thanks in advance.

Paris Apr 10th, 2002 04:19 PM

ttt

Patrick Apr 10th, 2002 04:40 PM

Just to let you know, I have had several clients who have done what you are doing. Once you use the voltage converter and plug converter, expect the lamp to blow light bulbs continually. Your problem is going to be finding a source of light bulbs in the US. So far, everyone I know who did this ended up rewiring the lamp. Usually a decent lamp store or electrician will do it for about $20, a worthwhile expense.<BR>To answer your question, I know my local Ace Hardware store carries both plug and voltage converters that will work both directions. In fact I think most of the ones you buy here will work "in reverse", don't they,

Wayne Apr 10th, 2002 05:00 PM

Karen---<BR>One of the main reasons why the converter blows bulbs rather quickly is that the standard frequency in Europe is 50 Hertz and in the U.S. it's 60 Hertz, so the filaments get cycled 10 times per second more in the U.S. than intended. Another reason is that the converters for Europe voltage to U.S. voltage usually put out the maximum typical voltage, sometimes even above what is normally considered acceptable. But there is nothing about the lamp that needs rewiring except to make sure the plug is changed to an American plug, and the light bulb socket is compatible with an American light bulb thread. This would normally be the case; but "rewiring" a lamp isn't necessary. It's more like "replugging" and resocketing.

Patrick Apr 10th, 2002 06:20 PM

You are right, of course, Wayne, but once you have switched the plug and switched the socket, all that is left is pulling about 25 cents worth of cord through the lamp. Whether that part is done or not is rather immaterial. In "rewiring" I was really referring to switching the plug and the socket.

Shannon Apr 10th, 2002 07:21 PM

Karen,<BR>What they are all telling you is true. All you need to do is replace the 'top' bit and the 'bottom' bit and you've got it. You need to do that, because the light bulbs (at least in England) are different from those in the U.S. The ones in England had the "push down and turn" technique, while we have the screw in variety. <BR>When I moved back to the States, I had to bring this silly looking "Toucan" lamp on a perch back with me that I bought in Brighton. I was able to rewire it myself in less than an hour without much knowledge of electricity.

john Apr 11th, 2002 03:39 PM

<BR>There is probably more nonsense on this short thread than on anything at Fodor's in a looong time. <BR>Tip: just snip off the European plug, put on an American plug, screw in an American bulb, and turn it on. Trust me; I've done it and it works fine. <BR>See my page at www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap11/11-301.htm for more about electricity in Europe.

Patrick Apr 11th, 2002 06:20 PM

Sounds good to me, john, except every light bulb I know of in the US won't fit in any lamp socket I've ever seen from a European lamp. Most are either a pin base or a fatter thread and base than our bulbs are. I'm not saying that some lamps may not work that way, but none I'm familiar with.

Shannon Apr 11th, 2002 06:41 PM

Thank you, Patrick!

john Apr 12th, 2002 02:31 PM

<BR>I might be missing my woozies or something but probably not. We brought back overhead lamps, floor lamps, and table lamps from Germany. Just change the plug and screw in a bulb. It works. Wayne's frequency idea is nuts. Frequency has nothing to do with light bulbs, but everything to do with clocks. <BR>As for the push down and twist bulbs, you see these now and then. Shannon is probably right about changing the head, but comparing England to anything is unfair to anything. England has its own way of doing everything which is different than anything. They don't even have a common plug/outlet for the kingdom. <BR>www.enjoy-europe.com<BR>