Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Europe scenic routes (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/europe-scenic-routes-1129235/)

Heimdal Sep 7th, 2016 03:06 AM

Europe scenic routes

Hi all

I would like to get a navigation system with nicest routes in the itineraries list. So not the shortest route, and not the fastest but the most beautiful places to drive in all of Europe. Anyone knows if that exists already ?

Thanks

Heimdal

sparkchaser Sep 7th, 2016 03:54 AM

All of Europe? ALL? Including the non-Schengen nations like the UK and Ukraine?

How many days do you have?

Do you plan on renting a car?

What is your budget?

What exactly is "the itineraries list"?

I am not going to say that request is "unrealistic" or "ill conceived" or just plain asinine (I'll let others do that) but you really have to provide more information if you hope to get anything resembling a helpful answer.

nytraveler Sep 7th, 2016 04:18 AM

There are dozens of beautiful routes to drive. You need to help by focusing on:

How much time you have for this trip
What time of year it will be
Do you want just to drive the routes and stop off at look outs - not visit/tour any towns or major cities along the way
Tell us if you will have a rental car or do a buy back option
If you will alone or sharing with another driver
If you prefer certain climates, mountains over coast

You could spend years driving all of these routes. And if you want specific info on routes in certain areas if you look at viamichelin.com it shows you the fastest as well as the most scenic routes to get between any two places.

Strongly suggest you google a web site or buy a book on this topic and start there and then come ask people about places you are interested in.

Heimdal Sep 7th, 2016 04:26 AM

I need to drive accross Europe from time to time. Visiting friends and family in Scotland, Norway, the Netherlands, France and Greece. Rather than staying on the busiest motorways, I would prefer to plan more time and enjoy the (long) rides. We own a car. And more interested in sceneries (mountain, sea, countrysides ...) than cities.
Going to Greece via Croatia and Albania (non shengen) are in the plans.

sparkchaser Sep 7th, 2016 04:37 AM

Using viamichelin.com is a good idea.

Dukey1 Sep 7th, 2016 06:00 AM

I suggest you offer the two posters above who are obviously delighted with your plans a free ride.

Mimar Sep 7th, 2016 06:22 AM

Michelin maps outline the scenic roads in green. Try to follow these routes as much as possible.

michelhuebeli Sep 7th, 2016 09:12 AM

A good start is setting your GPS to avoid tollroads in the countries where they exist. In France for example that guarantees picturesque villages and such that you'd otherwise blow by in a blink of the eye.

But your best bet will still be the web - google "scenic routes" and "scenic drives" and the country name, and there is a wealth of information. I have never seen an app or guide that covers scenic routes all over Europe - it's always been per country or at least per region.

annhig Sep 7th, 2016 09:17 AM

if you look at via michelin, and put in your start and end points, they have a "discovery" route which may be what you're looking for.

Sunflower guides [and Thomas Cook] amongst other also do guides with scenic drives in mind.