Europe on a Motel 6 budget

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 12:32 AM
shawna

Europe on a Motel 6 budget

Planning on a trip in Sept. to Amsterdam,Paris,Provence and Italy. Do you know about a ferry from London to Amsterdam?Paris, Any great hotels in the 6th,7th or 16th district that are under $125. I am a little curious in regards to the train route. Is it cheaper to do the rail pass or pay as you go. Is Rick Steves all that in where to stay and where to go.
Thank You,
Shawna

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 12:48 AM
preston

Hi Shawna,
Europe that time of the year is wonderful but I think you need reservations in Paris & Amsterdam. Good luck...
Preston
TIM hotels are a great deal.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 12:53 AM
Erin

Amsterdam Express...Check that out. Things are different after 9/11, so if anybody has different info, please let us know.
Cheers,
Erin

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 12:56 AM
Melissa

I don't know about any ferries from London to Amsterdam, but if you go to Timeout.com, and put in London, you'll find all your resources. I do know there is efficent train system that will bring you right into Amsterdam in just a couple of hours (maybe less).
The only other info I can give you is that my parents have travelled using Rick Steves as their guidebook, and enjoyed his places. Ibis and Accor hotels are cheap, Motel 6 type places in Europe. I'd check them out for cheap places to stay. Have fun.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 01:00 AM
xxx

There are many guide books, including from Fodors, Rough Guide, Let's Go, Berkely Guide, Frommers which cover inexpensive travel in Europe. Depends on how old you are, but Eurail Pass and the hostel route is very common and inexpensive for students or post-grads up to 25 yrs old. There are many pensiones and bed and breakfasts where you can lodge for $100 or less... many of these are listed in the above guide books (as well as in the Time-Out Guides). These guides also cover travel information, so I would do your reading and if you have some time while in Europe, try not to overplan the route before you go. Once you are on site, you will find it much easier to then plan how and when you want to get to your next destination. Good luck.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 01:03 AM
Mary

I have heard that the tim hotels are the best bang for the buck but which ones are better than others?
M.
Paris 6th,7th or 16th.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 01:10 AM
lise

Shawna,
Thalys to Provence is a beautiful ride,fast but fun.Go to Cingue Terra. I have heard that Portofina is awesome!I have no idea where to stay in Cingue Terra or Portofino butI am sure these wonderful people that read this will provide a clue.
Merci..Lise

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 03:44 AM
jen

There is a ferry from Harwich (train from London) to Hoek van Holland (train to Amsterdam). If you reserve early, it's even cheaper to FLY: easyjet.com from London to Amsterdam.
I second the TimeOut guides.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 01:41 PM
faile626

hi shawna,
i like rick steves as a broad introduction to low-budget europe travel, and 'let's go' to get even cheaper hotel and entertainment ideas. rick steves is great because he doesn't pack his books, but 'let's go' is committed to bare-bones, real-world travel. fodors may have the most active forums and pretty books, but i have to say the hotels ($125 a night is motel 6 range??? last time i checked i could stay at one of those for around $40 a night) are too rich for my budget.

-faile