Europe March 2006

Jun 5th, 2005, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Europe March 2006

I am beginning to plan my trip for next March. The cities I have in mind are Budapest, Bratialava, Vienna, and Prague for an eight day trip. The airline ticket will be an open jaw into either Vienna or Budapest because I want to end my trip in Prague. The fare is around $725.00 but hopeing it will come down. I have never traveled by train in Europe but will buy my tickets in Europe. Any and all input and suggestions are greatly welcome. Am I out of mind or will this work? Thanks
Jun 5th, 2005, 06:18 AM

4 cities in 8 days? And it takes at least a half day to get from one to the other, most of the day in some cases.
Pick two cities, that's my suggestion.
Jun 5th, 2005, 06:39 AM

I agree w/ elaine - a LOT of territory to cover in so few days. And if the 8 days includes your travel days to/from Europe it is even worse.

It is really much too early to be looking for airfares for March of next year.
Jun 5th, 2005, 06:55 AM

Agree with the other posters. For 8 days you should do no more than 2 cities. Otherwise the whole trip wil be nothing but a blur of airports and train stations - just waiting, sitting and riding - very little actual seeing or doing.

(As a rule of thumb each time you chane cities you lose an entire day. For example the train from Prague to Budapest is 8 hours or so - but when you factor in getting to and fro the train stations, checing out of one hotel, finding and checking into another - you're up to at least 11 hours - the whole day gone.)
Jun 5th, 2005, 07:00 AM
ira

Hi gp,

Good advice above.

We enjoyed our visit to Vienna and Prague.

Others have preferred Budapest to Vienna.

Have you checked the train schedules at http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Jun 5th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the information, the ideas posted have me thinking of Budapest for three days, two nights, a night and day in Bratislava, then the remainder of my time in Prague. My main purpose for this time of year is I want to see snow on the St Charles bridge and enjoy the quietness and culture of daily life. Thanks
Jun 5th, 2005, 02:43 PM

sounds great

I have a long file on Prague; if you'd like to see it, email me at
[email protected]
Jun 5th, 2005, 02:45 PM

by the way, my first trip to Prague was in early March 2004, and there was some snow around. Not crowded, still very enjoyable. So much so that I went back this past April.