Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Europe Itinerary...would love suggestions.

Notices

Old May 5th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boyfriend and I (mid 20's) will be spending a month in Europe this summer. This is our plan so far, but we would love any advice from all the experts in this forum.

Note: We will be taking the train and bus everywhere, unless it's absolutely necessary to rent a car, but we would rather not.

8/21: Arrive to Frankfurt in AM, train to Wurzburg
8/22:Train from Wurzburg to Prague (Will this be too complicated?)
8/22: Prague
8/23: Prague
8/24: Prague
8/25: Vienna
8/26: Vienna
8/27: Vienna
8/28: Vienna to Venice
8/29: Venice
8/30: Venice
8/31: Venice to Florence
9/1: Florence
9/2: Florence
9/3: Day Trip to Siena (Should we spend a night or two here?)
9/4: Train to Cinque Terre
9/5: Cinque Terre
9/6: Train to Lake Como
9/7: Lk. Como
9/8: Lk. Como
9/9: Fly from Milan Malpensa to Athens
9/10: Athens
9/11: Ferry to Naxos
9/12: Naxos
9/13: Naxos
9/14: Naxos
9/15: Santorini
9/16 Santorini
9/17: Santorini
9/18: Santorini
9/19: Early flight to Athens, afternoon flight to Frankfurt
9/20: Frankfurt to Seattle...and back to school

Some questions...
1. What are the stops/connections from Wurzburg to Prague? Is there a better place to stay in Germany our first night that would make the trip to Prague easier?

2. Should we only stay one night in Cinque Terre? (I've heard you can experience almost all of it in 1.5 days, if you are really motivated.)

3. Should we add or take off a day in any other cities?

4. Are there any good day trips (by bus or train) from any of the cities?

5. Should we stay a night or two in Piensa (rather than just making it a day trip)?

6. We fly from Milan on Easyjet...How much time should we give ourselves at the airport?

7. From Naxos or Santorini, are there any great day trips? Or should we spend a couple nights at a different island?

So I know this is more than a few questions, so if you have advice for even one of them...that would be great! Thanks.

Old May 5th, 2007, 09:12 AM

I'd give Vienna an extra day or two, it is a really wonderful city and worth the extra time. A night in Siena would be better.
Old May 5th, 2007, 09:19 AM

From Naxos you can take a day trip to Delos, one of the best archaeological sites in Greece. You can book your trip on a boat called 'Alexander' when you get to Naxos. It also stops for a half-day on Mykonos, so you will get a taste of that island as well.
Old May 5th, 2007, 09:27 AM

Not sure why you're going to Wurzburg - since the train from there to Prague is not faster than going directly from Frankfurt. Unless you really want to see something in ether place I would just get off the plane and go directly to Prague. This would give you an extra day - either for Prague or Vienna - and you can wear off you jetlag on the train.
Old May 5th, 2007, 09:27 AM

I agree that another day in Vienna would be good, as there are ton of things to see. I think you are spending too long in Santorini. I think 1 day is okay but 2 would be plenty.
Old May 5th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice. I liked the idea of stopping in Wurzburg because I didn't like the idea of hoping on an 8 hour train ride right after we landed, but I realize it does make more sense to do that. I will probably go that route. It sounds like I should add this extra day to Vienna.
Old May 6th, 2007, 09:35 AM

Stay two nights in CT because by the time you arrive it will be at least late morning. With two nights you will have 1.5 full days, then leave early the next morning for Lake Como. Enjoy~!
Old May 6th, 2007, 11:32 AM

Kenzipher;

I have to line up against the extra day in Vienna. It is a beautiful city, but a little sedate, unless your tastes run that way, and I am leaning on your mid-20's description to suggest you are fine with 3 days.

Your Florence, Siena, Cinque Terre, Lake Como circle in 5 days seems a little rushed, even if you don't stay overnight in Siena. i would try and find a way to extend that time, or maybe drop one of CT or LC.

I wholeheartedly agree that it makes little sense to travel to Wurzburg just to leave the next day. Either go straight to Prague (but that's going to be about 8
hrs!), or stay overnight in Frankfurt and head out the next day.

Apart form that you seem to have real good handle on the benefits of travel and stay for 3 days.

Old May 6th, 2007, 11:50 AM

I might quibble about a day here or there, but I think this is a well-planned trip. For the sake of slow travel as well as the ease of getting to the CT, I wouldn't stay a night in Siena -- this trip. However, while busy during the day, Siena goes all dark and medieval at night. It's like going back in time to stay in the Centro Storico. Maybe more time for Tuscany your next trip.