I'm planning my first trip to Europe with a friend for this upcoming summer.
I had previously posted a very over-ambitious itinerary, and have narrowed it down substantially.
The places we would like to see most are Rome, Cinque Terre (Specifically Riomaggiore and Vernazza), Paris, Madrid and hopefully a side trip for a day or two in Barcelona.
The main goals of the trip are not to spend days in museums or nights in bars, but to experience the culture, food, and famous sights in each place.
I'm a photographer who has been longing for the chance to photograph Europe.
We're both young professionals and don't know when our busy schedules would allow for another semi-long trip such as this in the future, and we figure if we are paying for airfare we might as well take advantage of Europe and try and see as much as we can.
We're open to both trains and planes, and have done some research and found reasonable pricing on both.
As for accommodations we have friends in a few of the cities, and plan to rent apartments or use airbnb.com for affordable places to stay.
I know there is the 3/4 rule, three days in a city, technically 4 with travel to and from, but is it possible to do any of these cities in 2/3?
Especially Madrid, we are just stopping there to see friends and don't have any major places we want to visit within the city, we would rather spend our time in Spain in Barcelona.
Secondly, I found this posting on Europe in two weeks:
But it doesn't seem very possible to me.
Along with everything stated above, do you think a trip like that is possible, or do we certainly need more time?
Do you think there is any way for us to squeeze in another city? (I hear Florence is fantastic, or Colmar, France).
Thanks so much!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 My trip to Prague
- 2 Looking for Paris Rental Apt.
- 3 Connecting trains in Chambery
- 4 Which Aran Island??
- 5 10 Days in May: Switzerland Itinerary Help
- 6 Santa Maria Novella products??
- 7 Again, onboard robbery attempts on trains leaving Milano Centrale station
- 8 Order of Amalfi visit in October
- 9 Getting to FCO from Rome
- 10 US dairy vs European Dairy
- 11 Greece -- Alternative to Athens
- 12 Cotswold - great food & ambience for lunch!
- 13 New Years in France
- 14 Mifi rentals for Portugal
- 15 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 16 Rome Hotel
- 17 1st Birthday Party in Italy questions
- 18 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 19 Where to Visit in Normandy & Brittany
- 20 Spain.... 2.5 Weeks... Need Help!
- 21 Is the scenery in South Italy worth the trip by train
- 22 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 23 Trains - website?
- 24 Winter ... UK Finland Sweden. (Live...ish)
- 25 London: Stunning New American Embassy