Europe in the Month of MAY?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had originally planned on backpacking Western Europe this October; however, due to school and finances, I must postpone until May of next year. I would be leaving at the very beginning of May, visiting England, France, Italy, Switzerland, Belgium and the Netherlands, and staying for 5 to 6 weeks.

I have read a few articles that vaguely describe the seasons and time periods in which to visit Europe. However, I have not read any in-depth information.

How would you describe the tourist environment in May? I've read about the average temperatures. I just want to make sure I'm not going at a time in which tourists are everywhere.

What are the pros and cons with visiting in the month of May through mid-June? I've already read about the tulips blooming in the Netherlands I'm awfully ecstatic about that.

Thanks much,

Toby
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 11:37 AM

There will be plenty of tourists in Europe in May -- but less than in June, even fewer than there will be in July, and a whole lot less than in August when even most of the locals become tourists. If you want to visit nice spots, then don't expect to be the only tourist there.

But May is probably my favorite month in Europe -- nearly anywhere. It is unlikely to be hot, yet very likely to be good weather. I'd much prefer it to October or November!
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 12:02 PM

You should expect some pretty brisk weather in early May. I went to Germany/Austria in May one year and realized I didn't pack enough warm clothes. There will be fewer tourists in May, but will start picking up in June. Unfortunately, the tulip season in Holland will pretty much be over in May.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 12:21 PM

Our last 4 trips to Europe have been in May. It's our favorite time to go because there are fewer tourists, the days are longer which is great for sightseeing and the weather is usually pretty good. It can be quite chilly, as was our trip to Germany & Austria in May 2005 or it can be quite warm which was the case with our trip in 2002. On our trip to the UK in 2004, we had almost perfect weather for 2 weeks. Take clothes you can layer as well as a waterproof coat or jacket and be sure you also have gloves. That's the one thing I really missed on our last trip in May.

In our experience, the flowers are usualy quite beautiful in May. Lots of tulips, daffodils, bluebells but we found it was a little early for roses when we were in Regent's Park in London.

I wouldn't hesitate to travel to Europe in May. Airfares should be somewhat lower than summer but maybe not as low as fall.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 01:18 PM

Personally, I've seen pretty high air fares when I check for May, sometimes more expensive than August, then increases again for September.
Maybe I've just had bad luck.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 04:37 PM

We've been to many areas of europe in May and have never found it cold. In Spain it was very hot - even in the beginning of May.

The areas you're talking about will be warmish (you might need a sweater at night or a thin jacket - nothing more) - unless you're going to Scotland (which seems to combine spring and summer into July and August) or northern Scandinavia. You should be fine with a combo of long and short-sleeve shirts/tops and medium/light weight pants. Not warm enough for shorts (which IMHO don;t belong in cities anyway).

Gardens and the countryside should be beautiful and the number of tourists relatively small - since teachers, students and their parents will not be traveling yet.

(You are hoever, too late for the entire tulip fields - you need before mid April for that I believe)
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 05:54 PM

We were in Europe last May and the weather in Florence and Venice were cool and rainy on some days (didn't bother us at all--we're from Seattle and used to rain), but there were so many tourists in Florence, I was getting claustrophobic. I think you'll find that in the areas that draw tourism, they'll be lots of them, but in the outlying areas, less so, as would be true most of the year.

But I'm sure you'll have a great time despite the crowds--I know I did!