Notices

Europe in October (around 10th)

Aug 26th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Europe in October (around 10th)

I will be in Europe in the 1st half of October, would like to take some time off and travel, for 8-10 days. I was thinking of Rhodes and Turkey,. taking a ferry between them. What would be your suggestions ? Is Rhodes worth of 4-5 days by car ? Also, what do you think of other options for mid October ?
Aug 26th, 2012, 05:19 PM

It is hard to advice because you do not mention your specifics such as what are your possible entry/exit points in Europe, interests, traveling style and the like...
But as you mentioned Rhodes, I think that yes, you can easily fill 4-5 days and a car hire gives maximum flexibility to explore around. Old Town of Rhodes can easily take one or two days to walk around, enjoy the ambiance and visit the sites, I have spent 3+ hours at the former Knights' Hospitable whith is now the Archeological Museum, and I felt I could have spend even more hours...Not to mention Grand Master's Palace, various mosques, the clock tower, walking along the walls etc, or sites in the wider town such as the Ancient Acropolis uphill or the Aquarium by Elli beach, and a walk along Mandraki harnor and so on... An other day can be easily spend enjoying Lindos and drive all the way to Prasonisi or explore the various beaches on this popular side of the island, while you may spend an other day exploring the less visited side of the island, climbing up to interesting fort ruins such as Monolithos or explore ancient Kamiros and so on, And of course there is plenty to explore more inland too such as the Batterfly park or the 7 springs or Tsambika monastery etc... Rhodes holds warm weather for longer, of course no one can predict the weather, but if it's warm and sunny as it quite likely will be, you may have to choose among various boat trips too, either on various spots around the island, either on other near-by islands too.
Aug 26th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks mariha2912. Is water still good for swimming at that time ? I visited Santorini and Crete before, so probably won't be trying to visit other Greek islands. I was thinking of ferrying to Turkey for ~5 days, is it suitable for a car travel ?
Aug 27th, 2012, 12:48 PM

By October weather gets iffy in Greece, but Rhodes is south-east and in general holds warm weather for longer. Possibly you may still be able to swim there, no guarantees of course.
I noticed your thread is tagged on many countries but not Turkey,you may be able to get lots of info by people in the Turkey forum though, there are some very knowledgeable contributors there.
Here is to give you an idea of the Greek Islands to Turkey ferry connections:
http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/t...ndFerries.html

Search this Thread