Europe in November

Oct 5th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Europe in November

Does anyone have suggestions for a European vacation second week of November. My husband likes to relax and I like to sightsee. Looking for enjoyable weather. Have already done Rome, Florence, Capri, London, Paris. Brussels. Budget is $2500 US. Thanks.
Oct 5th, 2005, 11:50 AM

I was in Venice a few years ago for Thanksgiving, and I loved it at that time of year. The weather was not terrible cold; I wore a blazer most of the time. It was a little rainy and foggy, but it added to the mystic! It was not colder than we found London or Paris at that time of year--not as cold as Paris. We rode out to Torchello and did not freeze! There was a little tide in, but we enjoyed the experience.
Oct 5th, 2005, 12:17 PM

Hi Susan

What about Cyprus or Greece?

Weather would be fine for your husband to relax and there is lots & lots of sighseeing for you.
Oct 5th, 2005, 01:00 PM
P_M

The only bad thing about Greece in November is that so many places in the islands are closed for the season. Most everything in Athens will be open. Athens is nice, but IMHO the islands are the best of Greece. I visited Rhodes in November and found most places of interest to be open. I've heard that Crete is a good place to visit in the low season, but I haven't been there.
Oct 5th, 2005, 01:12 PM

$2,500 is not a budget that allows for a lot of flexibility. Where are you flying from?
Oct 5th, 2005, 01:23 PM

$2500 is a huge budget by the standards of many Europeans. In several countries here, it is more than the average annual income. Why not think of flying into Kiev or Moscow? You could visit rural areas of Russia, Ukraine, the Baltic States, even take in Moldovia, Romania, Serbia, Bosnia and Albania, and still return home with lots of money to spare. There is simply no need to spend megabucks travelling round Europe, unless you are relentlessly intent on 'doing' (whatever that means) the sights to which well meaning but ill informed tourist flock.
Oct 5th, 2005, 06:51 PM

Portugal and Spain. Not sure what enjoyable weather means in terms of Europe in November as that can be hard to find; but Portugal esp will be not cold. Lots to see and do, if you stay outside of Lisbon along the coast, you husband could golf and you could sightsee, esp in Sintra. Lisbon and environs are very interesting. Does that budget include airfare for 2 people? Don't know what US airfares would be, that might eat up a good bit of the budget.

In Spain, Barcelona, Madrid and Seville would all offer lots to see and do. The latter two might be more relaxing for the DH.
Oct 6th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. We are saving Spain for next Spring when we can stay 10 days. I did consider Athens, but thought everything would be closed. I have always wanted to see Venice but the husband does not. Would Ireland or Scotland be too cold and foggy? We had originally planed on Vienna and Munich, but not sure I want to walk around in 30 degree temps.
Oct 6th, 2005, 03:31 PM

Living in Munich, I can tell you it's no problem whatever walking around in 30 deg temps. Take a deep breath and wait till you nostrils freeze over On a sunny day with almost no tourists downtown or taking the train to the mountains. It's the season I love most. Ever went skiing on a sunny day whith the light so intense you can hardly open you eyes?
Oct 6th, 2005, 07:55 PM

I think temps in Scotland and Ireland would be OK, not warm but not freezing, but I think you would find the days a bit short, esp in Scotland. Take a look at sunrisesunset.com. Scotland is really far north. I wouldn't choose it for that reason; Ireland would be a little better.
Oct 6th, 2005, 08:06 PM

Dear susan:

Why doesn't your husband want to see Venice?? Venice is wonderful; there is nothing like it. November would be great: no crowds, lower prices. It may be rainy, but it may not. Please consider Venice.

MY
Oct 6th, 2005, 08:26 PM

Hello Susanl7, I love Venice but the only comment (negative) I would make is if you have to be home the next day after your flight home do be aware that the fog can be very thick and bad in the region of Veneto in November (which Venice and the MarcoPolo Airport is part of). So do allow yourself some leeway...flights are can be delayed due to the fog which means that connecting flights can be a problem etc. I do love Venice no matter what time of the year it is. But just wanted to mention the fog problem and consequently the flight problems, FYI.
Oct 7th, 2005, 03:26 AM
ira

>You could visit rural areas of Russia, Ukraine, the Baltic States, even take in Moldovia, Romania, Serbia, Bosnia and Albania, ...<

Why not Molvania as well?

Do you need an International Driver's Permit to rent a donkey cart?

Oct 7th, 2005, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

I love the Venice suggestion, and will work on my husband. Has anyone used Go-Today.com? Any hotel suggestions? We are flying out of Boston. 2500 US is for hotel and air. We expect to spend more on food and drink. Also, is 6 days in Venice too much? Day trips?
Oct 7th, 2005, 06:01 AM

Venice is a great suggestion. Day trips include the Veneto with its Palladian Villas, Trieste, Padua and/or Vicenza and also Verona. Don't know how long a train trip it is, but you might also investigate Ljubljana. Hotels you might consider are the Flora, the Accademia, the Calcina, the ever popular Locanda Orseola, and Violino d'Oro, latter probably most expensive about 250 per night. Lots of other suggestions on this site.

If your husband remains adamant about not going to Venice, consider flying into Nice and doing the French Riviera and hills behind it. We did that in November of 2004 and had a wonderful, relaxing time. See my trip report (posted under jmv) entitled Off-season Riviera--So. France in November. Menton has an especially good climate and can be pretty warm at that time. Enjoy wherever you go.
Oct 7th, 2005, 06:47 AM

Venice!!!!
Oct 7th, 2005, 10:42 AM

Hi Susan,

You can try Las Terrazas de Cala Codolar Balearic Island. You can get a good rate. You can check for availabity at www.exotivacations2.com

Highlights The resort is set on a cliff overlooking the attractive beach at Cala Codolar on the south west coast of Ibiza. The spacious split level apartments all have large terraces to take advantage of the lovely views.