Europe in Nov/Dec

Old Jul 15th, 2017, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Europe in Nov/Dec

Hi all.

Doing Europe trip from Nov 24-Dec 10. I know for sure we are doing London last from Dec 3-10 (visiting friends), and I also want to do 3 nights or so in Paris. The only thing we have finalized (hubby and I) is our flight in and out of LHR.

We live in the Bahamas and want to enjoy a nice, cold, snowy (atleast snow topped mountains) Christmas vibe for a few days, as I know snow would be rare for London and Paris (been to both before). Need a break from the heat!

We have a red eye from Nassau into LHR arriving at noon and was thinking maybe fly from LHR into Munich or Salzburg and do 2-3 nights in Salzburg, then take the train to Lucerne and do 2 nights and then train to Paris and spend 3-4 nights before heading back to London.

Thoughts anyone? I am still super open. I also partially wanted to visit around Stuttgart as I found some info on my family tree showing where my great great grandfather was born and baptisted near there but wasn't sure.

I also get a Marriott associate rate thanks to my mom so cities with the relaxing Christmas charm and views with good Marriotts or Starwood hotels would be a plus.

Do you recommend taking the train between cities or flying? I don't tend to pack light so not sure if train is even a good idea?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Old Jul 15th, 2017, 10:10 AM

If you don't tend to pack light you will either need to eliminate the option of using many budget airlines that go cheaply to smaller destinations or pay extra for those many pounds you are hauling.

I wouldn't think you are guaranteed snow in Munich in early December, but others who know the area better might have a better info.

If enjoying snow and cold is really the motive, then consider heading to Paris first, to get deeper into December before heading to likely snow spots. You can fly Paris to Stuttgart in about an hour (Air France), but trains are probably just as or more time efficient (3 hours). From there maybe Lucerne, and a flight back to London from Zurich?
Old Jul 15th, 2017, 01:19 PM

Do you recommend taking the train between cities or flying? I don't tend to pack light so not sure if train is even a good idea?>

Trains are best for under 5 hours - and no problem with bags if you can carry them - if not you will be in for a rough trip no matter how you go.

Train info: www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.
Old Jul 15th, 2017, 01:50 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If you are a pack horse -- the budget airlines will be tough and trains will be a pain.
Old Jul 15th, 2017, 01:53 PM

the old adage -pack and then take 1/2 out and leave at home - you can indeed buy anything you need once in Europe and with the dollar higher against Pound and Euro will not break your budget- Switzerland however is still very dear.
Old Jul 15th, 2017, 02:55 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Christmas market time. I think you might get snow south of Munich. We have had snow once in October and during November. You could do train to Paris, Alsace region and then Stuttgart. If you book trains there is place for storage but have seen people with huge suitcases struggle getting them on and off.
Old Jul 15th, 2017, 08:11 PM

Hi allisOncecelia,

I live south of Munich, in the sweet town of Garmisch-Partenkirchen, and I can tell you that it's unlikely there will be snow on the ground in December. Yes we do often get a snowfall in October, but it's gone within 24 hours, and then the weather usually warms up again until about mid-January.

Lots of folks come to Garmisch to ski for Christmas, and the local ski slopes haven't had enough snow for skiing for several years .... you probably realize why ... Yes, there are snow cannons, but it's been so warm that the snow melts during the day.

However, you can find snow at the Zugspitze, Germany's highest mountain, just outside of Garmisch. It won't be snow in town, but at least you'll have the opportunity to crunch some snow under your feet for a few hours. The Zugspitze usually opens for skiing at the end of November or the beginning of December.

And, yes, I also love the Christmas markets in Bavaria, so you could spend your time enjoying those, and then go and enjoy snow for a few hours.

Another alternative would be to go to a resort at a higher altitude, like Zermatt or Wengen or St Moritz, all in Switzerland. However, the Swiss don't do Christmas markets like the Germans & Austrians do -- there are markets in the larger towns and cities, but not in the small towns or villages. So this could be a choice between snow or Christmas markets ...

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Jul 15th, 2017, 10:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That I know of there is no non-stop air service between LHR and Salzburg; there IS nonstop service from Gatwick and British is one of the airlines that flies that route and WILL ACCEPT the "usual" checked bags; IMO you are better off flying into Munich.
I would NOT fly between any of the other cities you mention.

Snow? I agree with the above: go UP as in Zermatt and HOPE. You'll undoubtedly see snow over the Monte Rosa Massif and you'll be glad to get back to the heat, too.
Old Jul 16th, 2017, 11:54 AM

Munich Airport is just about two-three hours by train from Salzburg.
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Between my husband and myself we usually do one checked bag each (a big one for me that always comes to exactly 50lbs) and then one carry on or backpack shared. I also make him do the heavy lifting so I guess I won't worry too much, gonna focus on packing lighter this go around!

What about Vienna? We have 9 nights to do Paris, Lucerne and other options and Vienna looks lovely. What about:

Paris - 3 or 4 nights
Lucerne - 2 nights
Vienna - 3 or 4 nights
Stuttgart - 1 night

Based on this, what is the recommended travel path?

It says my great great grandfather was baptized in Streich u. Vorderweibbuch, Wurttemburg.

Anyone familiar?

Thanks for all the tips!
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 09:19 PM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Unless this year is an exception, Vienna will not be snowy in late November, just gray.

Advent begins on 3 December; generally the bigger Christmas markets will have opened by then, or will be opening that weekend.
Old Jul 18th, 2017, 07:58 AM

Paris - 3 or 4 nights
Lucerne - 2 nights
Vienna - 3 or 4 nights
Stuttgart - 1 night

Based on this, what is the recommended travel path?>

Paris
Stuttgart
Lucerne
Vienna

but those are all longish train rides apart.
Old Jul 18th, 2017, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Would the mountains around Lucerne have snow around this time? I'm def not hopeful to see any in London Paris Vienna or Stuttgart!
Old Jul 18th, 2017, 12:08 PM

For sure snow and ice take a train Lucerne to Engelberg -about an hour and take the famous revolving cable car up to Mt Titlis- always snow and ice there in Dec.

Or Mt Pilatus nearer to Lucerne

these are the only two real high mountains near Lucerne I believe.
Old Jul 18th, 2017, 01:09 PM

https://www.google.com/search?q=titl...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Mt Titlis images
Old Jul 18th, 2017, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks!! I'm terrified of heights, have you been up in a cable car? Is it safely secured and are the paths up top secured??
Old Jul 18th, 2017, 03:54 PM

Well yes it is Switzerland you know - accidents are rarer than being hurt somehow else like by a cow I would think -these cables are large enough you can stand in the middle and see nothing.
Old Jul 18th, 2017, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Silly question right but I'm also that person on the plane who cries when it gets even a bit bumpy. Appreciate all the feedback!