Europe in June 2000 with 6 year old

Old Dec 16th, 2000, 07:27 AM
Tony

Europe in June 2000 with 6 year old

Looking to go to Europe for the first time with my spouse and six year old daughter. Lengt of trip with be eight days. Any recommendations and should we anticipate any race issues as we are African American? We live in Chicago which is not the most tolerant city in America.

Old Dec 16th, 2000, 07:32 AM
planet earthling

"Europe" where exactly? Can't generalize about the entire culturally, politically, historically, liguistically, ethnically continent!!!

Old Dec 16th, 2000, 07:44 AM
Tony

To Planet:

My error. Specifically France and the United Kingdom wrt the race issues. Wrt the first part of the posting, which European country would be ideal for a first time overseas traveler?

Old Dec 16th, 2000, 02:09 PM
Neville

Tony,
Prejudice can be found anywhere, but I would say that it's not going to be a problem here in the UK, and probably not anywhere else in Europe, not on the tourist trail anyway.
For a first-timer, the obvious choice is the UK, as we both speak approximately the same language, LOL!
maybe with a side trip to Paris via Eurostar if time allows.

Old Dec 16th, 2000, 07:02 PM
Ben Haines

As to race, both Britain and France have good numbers of people of Black and Asian descent, most of them nowadays European citizens. In London racism is rare, though newspapers report cases in the police force. I can't answer as for Paris, but think they're similar. I'm a white male aged 64, so am unaffected, but such black friends as our vicar tell me that they see no overt racism.

I think you've picked the two vcountries best suited to the novice travelkler, England for simplicity of living in the English language, and France for famous places. If the visit were designed simply to make a six year old happy then pretty well anywhere would do. All they want is their parents' company, parks, and sunshine: you could offer these in Chicago.

I have on disc notes on placeds in London and Paris that please children. I'm copying them, edited to the sae of six, to the e-mail version of this message. Please write as questions arise. Welcome to Europe.

Ben Haines, London