Hello fellow travelbugs,
Just thought I would poll the readers to find out if it is worth taking a vacation through Central Europe this coming January/February. With my work schedule, it appears the best time for me to take a vacation will be in January, and at the latest early February. Unfortunately, with the new client I have (contract work), I don't foresee Spring/Summer being an option. Plus, truth be told, I haven't gone to Europe in 2013, so I'm dying to go as soon as possible.
I know there can be a certain romance to Europe in the Winter - snow covered mountains, Christmas markets (Prague), and hearty meals by the fireplace all sound wonderful. But let's be realistic - am I going to waste my vacation?
Here is my temporary itinerary: London > Paris > Luxembourg (always been obsessed with this country, but I've read it pretty much shuts down between November-March) > Vienna > Prague. I know the Christmas market in Saint Charles Square in Prague runs until January 14th, so perhaps I could see that.
I plan on traveling via rail so I can see the countryside. My last two trips to Europe have been Cruises (Northern Europe last June, and Southern Europe/Mediterranean last October), so I wanted to do something different this time.
I live in California, but grew up in Michigan/Ohio, so I am familiar with snow and cold temperatures; not to mention I lived in Calgary for two years in my early twenties. The idea of beach/Caribbean is not as appealing to me.
I don't ski, but am not opposed to spending a few days in Austria/Switzerland in a ski chalet/resort.
Please be realistic - I can take it! I understand sightseeing will be limited to how much cold I can take, and I probably won't be indulging in hours-long walks around the city center.
But then again, it would finally allow me to wear my 3/4-length wool pea coat, and scarves I've bought in Europe!
What have YOU done in the Winter in Europe? I would love to hear your stories, and any itinerary suggestions are also welcome. I plan on 14 days for my trip, including airfare to and from Los Angeles; 15 days if necessary.
Thank you in advance for all of your replies. I love this site, and the community of travelers.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Yahoo EMAIL Password Reset Contact Now 1~888~406:4114 Yahoo Tec*h Boss
- 2 Milan airport--which one
- 3 Paris Apartment
- 4 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 5 A Merry marvelousmouse, and (likely more than one) cup of good cheer!
- 6 Three nights in the Italian Riviera: hiking in Camogli with day trips
- 7 London 'Tube-less', Fine dining, Fun excursions plus a GTG
- 8 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 9 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 10 Barcelona to Malaga
- 11 St, Goar or Bacharach
- 12 How to go up Schafberg Mountain when railway is closed
- 13 Overnight stop from Berlin to Paris
- 14 Which Area in London?
- 15 Ham tacos and the toilet isn't sucking mud
- 16 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 17 Paris November 2017
- 18 Getting around Lisbon
- 19 HOW MUCH SHOULD I TIP THE PILOT
- 20 Christmas in Granada....food!
- 21 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 22 Where to Visit in Normandy & Brittany
- 23 Visit to France
- 24 First time in Spain
- 25 Can only visit one (maybe two) cities. Which one?
Hello fellow travelbugs,