Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Europe in a week - Help me plan the trip !!!

Feb 8th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Am planning a week trip with my family 1st week of june (me,wife and 2kids -7,2 yr olds) to europe . have chosen england( where i land),paris and switzerland as the three countries i would like to visit and need help in planning.

As of now , i will be landing on London( saturday) ,
1. sight see London saturday and sunday ,
2.sunday night go to paris on the euro train , visit paris the whole of monday( eifel tower, mona lisa museum, arc ) ,
3.start next day morning (tuesday) to go to Zurich (Switzerland) , tour it that day, then go to Lucern and juaglehorn( highest peak in Switzerland) ( wednesday,thursday) ,
4.return to london ( thursday night) to catch the flight back on Friday.

I know that its going to be hectic but my intention is to hit the high tourist areas in each of the country . I would like to know the following :
1. Would i be better of getting a france swiss pass(its around 800 for the 4 days) ?
2. Switzerland is freaking expensive to stay and i am planning to stay in Zurich and lucern the two nights . I need a place with Kitchen since my family is vegetarian Any suggestion ?
3.Will the Swiss pass cover everything or do i need to buy individual city passes ?
4. Are there any trains from Lucern to Juagerlahorn ?

0, Will it be too hectic that i should probably drop Switzerland or probably cut short my stay there..
Thx in advance
Feb 8th, 2011, 04:50 PM

Just do London and Paris--even then you won't have enough time to see them thoroughly.

On second thought, just do London. You really only have five full days.
Feb 8th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

if at all i want to do one more European country and not switzerland with my schedule which one would you recommend - Brussels ?
Feb 8th, 2011, 05:00 PM

Better check to see if the "mona lisa museum" if is open on Monday.
Feb 8th, 2011, 05:05 PM

world_traveller_US,
I don't know where to begin. Others will certainly chime in to but here goes. Do not even attempt this trip as you have outlined above. You will not enjoy it. Three countries in one week is two too many IMO.

In order to determine if a railpass is the best option you will need to compare point to point tickets against the rail prices. It is not the best option for this trip.

Do you mean the Jungfrau as the highest mt in Switzerland? That in itself is not feasible if you plan to visit it from Zurich. I believe it is close to three hours from Zurich just to reach Lauterbrunnen, and then another two hours to the top of the Jungfrau. That's 10 hours just in train travel time.

Trying to rent a place with a kitchen might be difficult as most places rent for the week or for three nights minimum.

You might want to just stick with two locations for this trip. London and Paris will have more than enough to fill your and the kid's time. I think you will enjoy it much much more.

We were in London five days and Paris 7 days and barely scratched the surface of either city. You will want some down time also so the kids can run around a park.

Don't worry, Europe isn't going anywhere. You will certainly return.

Michele
Feb 8th, 2011, 05:06 PM

You are not going to get much encouragement to follow the crazy itinerary you proposed. With seven days, stay in London. There is plenty to see and do there and you can always take day trips to Stonehenge and other places in England if you want a change of scenery. As it is you won't begin to see it all.
Feb 8th, 2011, 05:06 PM

by train, France
Feb 8th, 2011, 05:15 PM

I wouldn't attempt London and Paris, unless you can fly into one and out of the other.
Feb 8th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your response.. I will just do London and Paris this time. Saturday , Sunday in London, Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday in Paris and Thursday back in London. Thanx all for your response .
Feb 8th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Also if i were to do 3 days in London and 3 days in France, what passes would you recommend . I am in the US now and would like to purchase the passes before hand. Also any suggestion on hotels in Paris ? or any websites that specialize in European hotel bookings..
Feb 8th, 2011, 05:51 PM

IMHO what you are proposing is close to madness - but that isn't really the issue because there is no way you are going to pull this off with 2 small kids. by day 3 they will be whining and screaming constantly in frustration and boredom.

If you want a family vacation you need to adapt to the needs of such small kids, which IMHO means renting an apartment for a week in one place. So they get a chance to be acclimatized, have time to visit a park and a playground and just run around each day - and everyone can get some sleep after the jet lag.

With your plan you will be spending more than half your time just getting from one place to another - hauling around with you all of the equipment and stuff you need with 2 small kids. I can;t even begin to imagine how you would do it.

Suggest you go to bahn.de - the best online site for train schedules (NOT prices except for German) and figure out how long and complicated these trips will be.

Also suggest you do some work on where you want to go (look at a map) and spell the places properly so you understand how much time they will take and what they will cost. A trip up the Jungfraujoch takes the best part of a day - and many people are not comfortable at the top due to the altitude. (Also the top is often socked in and it may take 2 or 3 days before you have a day when it's clear.) Don't know how that would affect your kids - but several people that went up with us on the train went right back down because they felt dizzy and breathless. (We were fine after sitting down and having a drink - but unless you are used to that altitude you need to limit your activity level and stay well hydrated).

3 days London and 3 days Paris is marginally better. Don;t know that you need any passes - but you should by Eurostar tickets as far in advance as possible to get the lowest rtes. Still reco you look into apartment so you have at least a minimal kitchen and can give the kids the snacks, drinks they want - and perhaps breakfast - to make the days shorter for them. Even a 7 year old will have trouble keeping up - and hauling a stroller around will also be a pain every time you move.
Feb 8th, 2011, 05:55 PM

"Also if i were to do 3 days in London and 3 days in France, what passes would you recommend"

You don't need any passes. Also -- have you already booked your flights? On such a short trip it would be much MUCH better to fly open jaw. That means you fly from the US to London and then fly home from Paris. This will save you the expense of traveling back to London and net you another 1/2 day for sightseeing.

You really don't have enough time to travel to/from Paris. just do it once.
Feb 8th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

i hv already booked my flight. so will remember it next time janisj. also nytraveler thanx for all the responses i got , i am saving switzerland for my next trip but will do london and paris this time. i am planning to stay in a service apartment and thanx to venere.com, got few apartments that fit my needs. you guys are terrific and fodors is a very good guide ( gotta return the switzerland version and get a paris one now