Europe in 12 days

Apr 5th, 2003, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Europe in 12 days

I have two weeks to travel through Europe and I would like to see Amsterdam, France and Italy. What are the MUST SEE places? Any suggestions?

Apr 5th, 2003, 12:15 PM

I don't know if you ever thought of a tour...A few years ago we had 12 days and took a Tragalfar Tour...We started in London and went through France, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Germany and ended up in Amsterdam...It was a great way to see a whole bunch of countries, and we had a blast...If a tour is not for you though, you might not be interested...That is my suggestioin anyhow!!
Apr 5th, 2003, 02:21 PM
sjk

Look into Open Jaw tickets, maybe something that flies into Amsterdam and returns from Rome. Here's a suggestion:
Amsterdam 2 days
Paris 3 days
Avignon 1 days (or somewhere on the French Riviera)
Overnight train to Venice
Venice 2 days
Rome 3 days
Apr 5th, 2003, 11:24 PM

Hi there,2 weeks is not much time but its enough to impression of those 3 countries..Here's a suggestion:

1-3-Amsterdam-try to arrive on friday
4-7-Paris
8-11-Firenze (one day Pisa and Lucca or Siena)
12-15-Rome (one day Assisi or Napoli and Pompei)

i hope you like it and have fun
Apr 6th, 2003, 12:49 AM

Since you'll be country hopping, you might want to consider inter-european flight options - there are lots of low cost carriers and it would save you a ton of time...

www.ryanair.com
www.europebyair.com (this site is great for multiple destination tickets)
www.easyjet.com
www.britishairways.com

If you do a search on the site I'm sure you'll find a bunch of others.
Both of the itinerary suggestions you've gotten are good, you just have to decide if you're more of a big city or small city traveller. That'll make deciding where you want to go much easier!
If I had two weeks, I'd probably hit the big cities - Amsterdam, Paris, Venice, and Rome with a side trip to Sorrento or Pompeii.

Good Luck!
Apr 7th, 2003, 06:54 PM

You can't miss Nice and the French Riv. Have a great trip!!
Apr 8th, 2003, 03:02 PM

Because I'm not one for 'rushing' around my intinerary is more time fewer places than many people choose.

I'd fly into Amsterdam, spend 4 days. Train or fly to Paris, spend 6 days. Take an overnight train with a private sleeper car to Venice, spend 4 days. Fly out of Venice.

This will give you a taste of each country, at an enjoyable pace, without jangling your nerves or pocketbook too bad.
Apr 10th, 2003, 09:12 AM

6 days in Paris?its not to much.....at least try to go to Mount Saint Michael.its great there

good trip..have fun
Apr 10th, 2003, 12:02 PM

France & Italy are two of my favorite places. I just LOVED Amsterdam as well. Of course, you must see Paris, Provence or the Cote D'azur, Rome & Venice. But again, it all depends on your tastes. But this is good for your first trip. I would go to the library and thumb through some travel guides and find what places you want to see. I would also skim Rick Steve's Back Door to Europe. He has a good chapter on Travel Skills and how to plan your itinerary.
Apr 10th, 2003, 01:46 PM

I enjoyed Amsterdam, 3 days is good. We did Paris in 3 days and did a ton. Of course it was march and pouring rain so we ran from Musuem to musuem and didnt' get to sit outside and just "experience" it! I am enamored with Italy and will be spending 2 wks in the N. part alone. So I say 3 days each in Amsterdam and Paris, the rest of your time in CInque Terre,Florence and Venice! Have fun!
Apr 13th, 2003, 07:35 AM

TracyB- my husband and I are looking into going to Germany, Austria and Switzerland in Sept and we are undecided if we should do it along or on a tour. I'd like to hear more about your tour. We like to cover a lot when we travel.