Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Europe in 12 days (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/europe-in-12-days-303975/)

robbydigi Apr 5th, 2003 10:28 AM

Europe in 12 days

I have two weeks to travel through Europe and I would like to see Amsterdam, France and Italy. What are the MUST SEE places? Any suggestions?<BR><BR>

TracyB Apr 5th, 2003 11:15 AM

I don't know if you ever thought of a tour...A few years ago we had 12 days and took a Tragalfar Tour...We started in London and went through France, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Germany and ended up in Amsterdam...It was a great way to see a whole bunch of countries, and we had a blast...If a tour is not for you though, you might not be interested...That is my suggestioin anyhow!!

sjk Apr 5th, 2003 01:21 PM

Look into Open Jaw tickets, maybe something that flies into Amsterdam and returns from Rome. Here's a suggestion:<BR>Amsterdam 2 days<BR>Paris 3 days<BR>Avignon 1 days (or somewhere on the French Riviera)<BR>Overnight train to Venice<BR>Venice 2 days<BR>Rome 3 days

arkhan Apr 5th, 2003 10:24 PM

Hi there,2 weeks is not much time but its enough to impression of those 3 countries..Here's a suggestion:<BR><BR>1-3-Amsterdam-try to arrive on friday<BR>4-7-Paris<BR>8-11-Firenze (one day Pisa and Lucca or Siena)<BR>12-15-Rome (one day Assisi or Napoli and Pompei)<BR> <BR>i hope you like it and have fun

_Julie_ Apr 5th, 2003 11:49 PM

Since you'll be country hopping, you might want to consider inter-european flight options - there are lots of low cost carriers and it would save you a ton of time...<BR><BR>www.ryanair.com<BR>www.europebyair.com (this site is great for multiple destination tickets)<BR>www.easyjet.com<BR>www.britishairways. com<BR><BR>If you do a search on the site I'm sure you'll find a bunch of others.<BR>Both of the itinerary suggestions you've gotten are good, you just have to decide if you're more of a big city or small city traveller. That'll make deciding where you want to go much easier!<BR>If I had two weeks, I'd probably hit the big cities - Amsterdam, Paris, Venice, and Rome with a side trip to Sorrento or Pompeii.<BR><BR>Good Luck!

Taia Apr 7th, 2003 05:54 PM

You can't miss Nice and the French Riv. Have a great trip!!

suze Apr 8th, 2003 02:02 PM

Because I'm not one for 'rushing' around my intinerary is more time fewer places than many people choose.<BR><BR>I'd fly into Amsterdam, spend 4 days. Train or fly to Paris, spend 6 days. Take an overnight train with a private sleeper car to Venice, spend 4 days. Fly out of Venice.<BR><BR>This will give you a taste of each country, at an enjoyable pace, without jangling your nerves or pocketbook too bad.

arkhan Apr 10th, 2003 08:12 AM

6 days in Paris?its not to much.....at least try to go to Mount Saint Michael.its great there<BR><BR>good trip..have fun

americaine Apr 10th, 2003 11:02 AM

France &amp; Italy are two of my favorite places. I just LOVED Amsterdam as well. Of course, you must see Paris, Provence or the Cote D'azur, Rome &amp; Venice. But again, it all depends on your tastes. But this is good for your first trip. I would go to the library and thumb through some travel guides and find what places you want to see. I would also skim Rick Steve's Back Door to Europe. He has a good chapter on Travel Skills and how to plan your itinerary.

e_roz Apr 10th, 2003 12:46 PM

I enjoyed Amsterdam, 3 days is good. We did Paris in 3 days and did a ton. Of course it was march and pouring rain so we ran from Musuem to musuem and didnt' get to sit outside and just &quot;experience&quot; it! I am enamored with Italy and will be spending 2 wks in the N. part alone. So I say 3 days each in Amsterdam and Paris, the rest of your time in CInque Terre,Florence and Venice! Have fun!

chris_nyc Apr 13th, 2003 06:35 AM

TracyB- my husband and I are looking into going to Germany, Austria and Switzerland in Sept and we are undecided if we should do it along or on a tour. I'd like to hear more about your tour. We like to cover a lot when we travel.