Europe -- how much cash to carry?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read the posts about the money belts and using the ATM's to get cash and even where the ATM is located at the airport in Venice -- and I know the answer to this question is going to differ person to person -- buy how much cash to you seasoned European travelers normally have on you?
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 09:17 AM

couple hundred bucks plus an armada of credit cards, ATM cards and travelers cheques as backup - enough to cover basic expenses in case my cards don't work and they never have not for years now. I always bring the cheques back home.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 09:19 AM

I withdraw two to three hundred at a time, depending on whether I have to pay accommodations in cash and what's coming up for the next few days.

I have given up on traveller's cheques in Italy because I can never find anyone who accepts them. They are great for France though.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 09:21 AM

When I'm actually visiting a city, I have no more than 75-100 Euros on me. I keep the rest of my money in my suitcase. I usually take 300 Euros over. On our last trip, I only had to withdraw money from an ATM once.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 10:27 AM

I always have $200 in US$ hidden in my suitcase. And I start out with whatever euros or pounds I have left from previous trips.

Once I get there I generally withdraw 200 euros - or 150 pounds at a time (as I would in the US). This lasts quite a while since I charge everything I can.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 10:35 AM

It just depends on how much you want to charge and how much you want to pay cash for. I like to pay for everything except purchases, so I pay for my meals and odds and ends with cash and then charge everything else. When I hit the ATM I usually take the max that I can.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 10:42 AM

I also usually have about 100-200 euro on me, depending when I last went to the ATM. Of course, I have an ATM card and credit cards on me, also. I do take TCs as backup, but I don't carry them around with me usually. I just make sure I do not run out of euro and try not to get below about 100 euro -- because you never know when your cards might not work, the ATMs might not work, etc., so I try to make sure I never am real close to running out, as a precaution.
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Posters!

Now let me ask you a follow up question. With all the posts I have read about pick pockets -- I assume that much of that cash is in your money belt -- I can't envision struggling with a money belt when I buy that first cup off caffe americano in the morning -- how much cash do you carry around in your pocket?
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 05:30 AM

How much can you afford to lose?
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 05:42 AM

Whatever amount, don't carry it in Benjies. I don't know what policies are in other European nations, but in France, due to the high number of counterfeit in circulation, the banks won't change $100 bills. Twenties and fifties, no problem.
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 06:27 AM

Are you absolutely sure that no bank in France will change 100s? I always have some stashed away in case of emergency..do I really have to get them changed today for 50s? Banks in the US have machines that can detect counterfeit bills..I would think they have these in France....(we received a fake 100 yesterday and although the pen did not detect it, the bank machine did and the bank seized the bill..this was in NYC)
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 06:39 AM

No money belts and no back up TC or US cash (except what I happen to have in my wallet on the day I leave). I take about 200 E or 200 pounds out of the ATM when I need to and charge whatever I can.

Most people keep daily travel money in their wallet or pocket and then put the bulk of it in their money belt - so you're not digging into it every time you want to buy something.

Two years ago - I had a horrible time getting change for US 50 in Ireland. I was lucky I had a friend who lived there who finally just deposited it in her bank and gave me Euro. Apparently they were having a huge problem with conterfeit 50s and weren't accepting them anywhere.
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 06:44 AM

Usually less than $100 in my pocket, more like $1000 for the trip. I work for a bank though & can exchange $$ for free where I work, so that is part of the reason. Plus, I just prefer to have 'cash on hand', particularly if you are traveling away from major cities. I may also take some travelers cheques (alos free)as oftentimes places we stay, will want cash or cheques since they have no way to accept credit cards.
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 07:03 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
On the plane ride over I hvae $300-400 USD and 300 euro (actually usually CHF for me). I leave the USD in my suitcase and carry half the euro in my wallet. I don't use a money belt.
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 07:13 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
skiitaly- You are correct. You should *never* be going into your money belt in public for a cup of coffee. Put what you think you need for the day in your pocket. If you need to access your money belt, you should visit a restroom to do so... it defeats the entire idea if you are fumbling around under your clothes opening the money belt.
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 09:17 AM

Perhaps you are not using the term "in your pocket" literally, but I don't carry money in my pocket. I carry it in my purse. I don't use money belts. I carry the whole amount in one place, in my purse.
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 03:16 PM

"Are you absolutely sure that no bank in France will change 100s?"

No, Crunchy, not absolutely. But I'm absolutely sure that two banks in Souillac refused to change mine, at least in any kind of reasonable timeframe. I was told that my banknotes would be sent to Paris, verified, word sent to the bank in Souillac, and only then could I pick up my Euros. It was said by the lady at the Banque de la Poste that I could expect the process to take a fortnight. Fifties, twenties, no problem, she said, she'd change those on the spot.

Good thing I had two bank accounts and two debit cards...trying to feed and entertain myself, my wife and my three voracious teenagers on the measly $300USD, to which limit each bank held my daily cash withdrawal, would have been awkward.