Notre-Dame tower stairs

Search

Notre-Dame tower stairs

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Notre-Dame tower stairs

Are the stairs wide enough for people to stop and rest on the way up? Or are there a few corners to duck into to rest for a bit? My mother is 60 years old, and I don't want us to attempt this 387-stair climb unless I know she can stop to rest a few times. Thanks!
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 09:14 AM

No, there is no place to stop for a rest, other than leaning against the wall in the narrow stone staircase and forcing others to squeeze by you.
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 09:24 AM

Nope, once you start you have to keep going, or piss off the people behind you.
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 09:31 AM

I beg to differ. I climbed the stairs two years ago and was not in the greatest of shape for that climb. First there is a little area less then a third of the way up where there was an exhibit for Les Miserable. Then I found that the stairs were wide enough for people to pass if you were going slowly at least to the first platform with the gargolyes. Then the stairs were narrower about that. Also since they generally let a group of so many (they have a number for the group size, I guess) in at a time if you are at the back of that group you won't have the kids breathing down your neck. I would ask to be at the end of the group. Good luck.
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 09:39 AM

I agree with AGM_Cape_Cod, I've done this on each of my 3 trips to Paris, and I need to stop and catch my breath a few times. I reacall a few spots were there is room to stand aside at a window.

~Liz
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 11:12 AM

To clarify - you can stop briefly on the staircase, but there is no place to sit down for a spell. If your mom is reasonably fit (e.g., no disabling respiratory problems) she should be able to make it with a few stops to catch breath, but you will not find an an area specifically for resting.
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 12:06 PM

Don't mean to hijack this thread...What are some thoughts about going up/and down the stairs with an infant in a baby bjorn? My wife and I are both in shape and we missed the tower last time, so we'd really like to see it!
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, this was exactly what I needed to know! Knowing she can stop a few times at the windows etc, will be reassuring. Good advice also to get at the end of the line if possible.
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 07:47 PM
lyb

she can definitely stop a few times, first at the store, at least it was when I went there a few years ago and then just leaning against the wall and letting people go by...I know I did and saw others do it....and I didn't see anybody looking mad, unless they're really good actors.
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 09:28 PM
tod

WayupNorth - I have always shied away from such physical torture but this trip I am going to give that staircase a go!
BTW - I'm 65.
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 09:53 PM

PlasticTraveler,

The couple in line in front of me had two kids, and the father carried the younger one (a big toddler, not an infant) the whole way. It's a relatively easy climb compared to most other cathedrals, with a few places to pause (not one single endless spiral staircase).