Europe for Christmas or NeYear

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 04:00 PM
Darlene

Europe for Christmas or NeYear

My family and I are looking for someplace to go over Christmas/New Years break. We are Americans living in England for a while, so we would like to take this opportunity to travel somewhere in Europe. Probably several 3-5 day trips.

SInce we live in England we have done London to death, and have been to Paris several times. Also Madrid, Amsterdam, and Brussels. We are looking for somewhere else. We like good food, antiques, shopping, good wine, and beautiful architecture. As we have a 2 year old, night life is not very important. Also my husband isn't fond of blizzards (so Finland may be out).

Any suggestions.

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 08:02 PM
Linda

Berlin, Vienna, Prague, Krakow, Budapest, Florence.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 01:51 AM
Ben Haines

I'll start with no-frills flights, at about 120 pounds return to many places, but half that to some.

From Helsinki a couple of hours by boat take you to Tallinn, which is two old cities in one

From Berlin it's two hours by train to Dresden, if you like Baroque, or Leipzig, if you like Gothic. There the best wine is from the Rheingau, and (less well known) from near Meissen in Saxony. Or an overnight train with sleepers to Krakow, where I know good self-catering flats. Poland is not a wine country.

Buzz, http://www.buzzaway.com, ++44 870 240 7070, fly from Stansted to Berlin and Helsinki

There are direct flights to Prague. The good wines there are Moravian.

Munich is a good idea of itself, or as start of a sleeper journey to Budapest. They do have wine in Munich, despite everything, and of course Budapest has wine flowing almost in the streets. Four miles south west of the centre is the railway shunting yard of a wine company, which sends wine around Hungary in railway tankers, that look like oil tankers. But they make plenty of good wines, both domestic and elegant, and have vinotheques to try them.

Venice is a good idea of itself, or as start for a sleeper to Belgrade (I'm not kidding. They love to see us). The best wine there is from Vojvoidina. I can e-mail you a guide to Serbia, and to Serbian food, if you ask me before Christmas. After Christmas I'm in Serbia.

Go, http://www.go-fly.com, ++44 845 60 54321, fly from Stansted to Munich, Prague and Venice

May I demur ? Nobody has done London to death. But you're right: there's more of Europe. So please write if I can help further.

Ben Haines, London

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 02:13 AM
John

I would go to Costa Del Sol Spain there are some good off season deals and the food is great and prices are cheap fly into Malaga about 2hr from England Every thing you are looking for and it is a lot warmer than England

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 02:29 AM
Jenny

A lot of Europe isn't so hot at the moment .... take a look at http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/europe/newsid_1715000/1715401.stm

Just something to consider, especially if your HB isn't fond of the snow!!

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 03:57 AM
Darlene

Not to offend the London lovers. It is one of my favorite places in the world. Its just that I go there 2 or 3 times a week, and I wanted something different.
I have heard good things about Malga on several of these postings. Any recommendations on places to stay?
I think we will go somewhere slightly warm on the longer trip, and a traditional European Christmas trip for a short trip 3 days.