Greek Islands on a short schedule

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me and a friend are students traveling on a budget. We will be coming in to Athens from Istanbul on July 1st and have a flight out of Athens on the 9th. We were hoping to see some of the islands before flying home. It looks like we will only have time for one or two in order to give us a couple of days to see Athens. Any thoughts on the best island(s) to see and how long they deserve would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 03:35 PM

On a student's budget you might enjoy Ios, the 20-something party island.
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 11:06 PM

I would head to one island only +Athens area.

What "on a budget" means? 30 euro/person/day is different to 60 euro/person/day although most people would consider this as "low budget".

"Best" means nothing. What your interests are, what you'd like to see/do on an island?
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 12:17 AM

"It looks like we will only have time for one or two (Islands)"
...unless you fly by low cost plane from Istanbul to Izmir or Bodrum and go on by ferry from Cesme, Kusadasi or Bodrum through the Greek Islands up to Piraeus (port of Athens)
http://www.bulucak.com
http://www.feribot.net/feribot/?lang=en
http://www.gtp.gr/
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

^Thanks for the suggestion, I didn't even think of this.... Our budget is probably around 50 euro per day not including transportation. We're looking for something with beaches and natural beauty. I wouldn't say partying is a real priority for us but a decent night out is always good. Thanks again...
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 06:29 PM

In general, using ferries from Turkey to Greek islands might be a good option, if you plan to be near related ports, but on a limited time frame, a flight to Athens and most likely one island only, makes more sense to me...
Last time I used ferry Kos to Piraeus for example, trip lasted about 14 hours. You do not want to spend that amount of time on transit on a trip of 7 full+arrival and departure days, even if it is an overnight ferry.
The way I see it Athens deserves at the very least 3 nights/2 full days, so remaining time allows a decent visit to one island, or a very rushed visit on two islands... But why to rush? Just my opinion of course...
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 06:59 PM

Is 50 euro/person? You can find a very decent room to let, double occupancy for as low as 25-30 euro/night, even less if you are lucky...You may want to look for one with cooking facilities, so you self cater and save some money... A meal in a tavern, say a salad, a cheap main course and a soft drink may come as low as 12-15 euro, but doing this twice a day, your budget is gone...

I am not familiar to Ios, but on the same ferry line you'll find Paros, Naxos ans Santorini. You may want to check on those.
On May, on your situation and on your budget I might had a look on Parikia on Paros. It will be lively enough, there are a couple of decent beaches in walking distance, and even if excursions and taxi boats are not running, bus system radiates from Parikia and goes to most spots of interest. Parikia itsself features your typical narrow lanes and Cycladic architecture, a venetian castro area, a small but very good archeological museum and of course the famous Church of 100 doors...On Paros you'll find endless sandy beaches on east coast (Molos,Logaras, Chrissi Akti etc), scenic cove with weird rock formations north (Kolybithres and Monasteri beach), nice sea side towns and harbors(Naoussa, Piso Livadi, Ambelas, Aliki etc etc ), scenic mountain villages (Lefkes, Kostos etc), a "Batterfly Valley", a natural "spa" (Kalogeros mold beach) and an easy ferry ride to Antiparos island with more sandy beaches, a pleasant town, a dramatic deep cave to explore inland, and possible boat excursions to islets,sea caves, coves......
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Ya probably around 50 euro per person conservatively. My only issue seems to be transportation. What is the best way to get around an island like Paros? Renting a car isn't really an option for us because we are under 21. Maybe a moped? Are public transportation or taxis available? Thanks again for the great advice...
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 11:05 PM

You will have no problem getting around Paros by public transport. Parikia, the port town, is the hub for KTEL bus services, and in July the buses run hourly to most locations. Naxos and Santorini also have good bus systems.
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 05:17 AM

Been to Ios..not my style but the grandkids loved it!! Stayed @ Francisco's and it was very much to our liking..reasonable, clean but not very quiet when the bars closed. Nice beach by bus!! Paros was equally nice but a different ambience.Better beaches!! Mopeds are available and common, but didn't see any on Ios. Wasn't looking probably.. You will have a good time but be aware that ouzo is dangerous for many..
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 05:45 AM

amer_can
Ouzo is not particularly dangerous, drinking too much is
There are many Northern Europeans on Ios that drink till they drop.... no wonder there are no mopeds..... lol

Manganari is one of the nicest beaches of the island
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 09:42 AM

Lots to do on Paros and even in July you can find quiet empty spots as well as busy ones.
Whatever you are in the mood for, you can find it there!
From Parakia, you can walk to the beach or take a water taxi across the bay to Krios, a nice beach. You can also get to other towns and beaches by bus - service is convenient and cheap.There are also taxis if you need a late night ride home.