Search

Europe 30 days December 2012

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Europe 30 days December 2012

Hello All,

My soon to be husband and I are planning a honeymoon in december 2012 we are leaving from Perth Australia on the 4th of december and the length of our trip will be for 30 days. We are wanting to have a stop over in either KL or Bangkok, then off to Europe and wanting to include Paris and London. We are stuck on the other place or places to go, also we will be in europe for christmas and new years.
Please can you give us any suggestions on places to visit, hotels around the $200 mark and below and routes to travel as this is our first time in europe.

Thank you all for your time.

Tania
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 07:46 PM

Brugges is a great place to visit, particularly to us Aussies as it is so different to our towns. We took the train from London to Brussels then connected to Brugges. If you want to do some tours from Brugges, we can recomment Quasimondo which is run by an Australian/Belgian couple. From Brugges we trained to Amsterdam and eventually back to Paris. We stayed in the Marais area of Paris and found it very easy to walk to the Louvre, Notre Dame, Musee D'Orsay - all within walking distance.
Don't be worried about using the European railway system - we found it very efficient and user-friendly and a great way to get around.
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 09:28 PM

As you've not been to Europe before, the scope of places to visit is huge, but don't be temped to try to cram too many places in as you'll end up doing more travelling than sightseeing and won't have an enjoyable honeymoon.

To start, AU$200 is around Euro150, so you're not look at upscale hotels, but you'll certainly be able to find centrally located hotels and B&Bs as well as perhaps pick a place for a splurge on NYE and/or Christmas.

Paris and London need a week each and as recommended above, Belgium is a good place to add to your list, and time in Brussels and Brugge worth it (1 day in Brussels, 2 in Brugge). You'll soon find that you only have 10-14 days left of your honeymoon time, not including time in KL or Bangkok.

A few questions/notes:
1. What do you and your soon-to-be-husband like in terms of sightseeing - food, museums, shopping, history, relaxing?
2. Are you looking for the big cities or countryside?
3. Christmas Markets - these are a must-see (IMO!) during the lead up to Christmas in Europe, and will certainly be like nothing you've experienced in Australia. Places like Munich, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Innsbruck (to name only a few) have lovely and different sized Markets with all things Christmas, so perhaps you could consider spending the days leading up to Christmas in one of those places (many close by 2pm on 24th Dec, some on 22 or 23, so check before you set your heart on a city).
4. What are you looking for in terms of celebrating Christmas and NYE? That will help with suggestions for those days.
5. It will be cold (which I'm sure you're aware of) and dark early (sunrise around 9am, sunset around 3-4pm) so daylight hours a limited, thus plan your outdoor activities accordingly. There's nothing better than a crisp blue sky on a Winter's day, but the weather won't always be on your side so just go into the trip without worrying about weather and make sure you either take warm clothes (layering is best) and boots with your, or something to get you through and purchase great boots and a coat at your first destination (often a much better choice than in Australia at that time of year, unless you stock up in the next Winter).
6. KL or Bangkok - I could throw HK and Singapore into the mix, but that will just get confusing (!), so either one will suit for a day stopover, and will mean you don't have to take too many Summer clothes with you as well as Winter stuff. In terms of which one, only you can answer why you're considering either one. Bangkok is a vibrant, loud, and large city with lots to see, do and eat. KL is a very tropical (great gardens, etc) but also large city, just a little less hectic than Bangkok, but still good.
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 01:00 AM

Why not spend the period between Christmas and New Year in somewhere like Switzerland or Austria. Yes the days will be short but that should not stop you seeing some wonderful scenery and it will be a contrast to London and Paris. What contrast a nice little mountain village crisp snow and possibly a frozen lake depending on where you choose
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 01:26 AM

I havent been to Switzerland but my understanding is that it is quite quiet around xmas because it is much more family oriented than say Germany where there is a culture of xmas markets. Perhaps include a town in Germany before xmas to take part in the festivities (Bruges also has a lovely festive atmophere).
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 02:11 AM
ira

Hi TC,

How about a week in London, a week in Paris, a week in Venice and Florence OR a week in Rome, a week split between KL and Bangkok?

Enjoy your trip
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 03:23 AM

Congrats on your trip www.eurocheapo.com www.ricksteves.com good tips for you. www.airasia.com cheapest flights via KUL
usually for you. www.skyscanner.net for euro econo flights
I always fly the long legs cheaply booked in advance and train
the short legs seat61.com like a local. Route for me LON/PAR to Athens www.santorini.com www.ikies.com best sunsets in the world work my way back through Italy Switzerland Germany if you like the cold otherwise over to Spain.Always stay flexible
book in the fly for best deals.2 biggest rip offs Money Changers and Train pass avoid both of those.I do best with
a no foreign fee Visa and change money only at big banks.

Happy Planning!