Europe 1 Month - Tight Budget

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2007, 12:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I know I asked this already, but something's kinda changed...

Looks like now it MAY be a possibility that I will only have 4000 USD total.

I want to visit 5 different countries in 1 month - Ireland, Belgium, France(Normandy Beach), Austria, and Switzerland.

If I have to knock out one, I can think about that.

The cheapest flight's I've seen is about a 1000USD to and back.

I can get a 5 country pass for 400 dollars at Eurail.com

Is it ok if I assume that hostel's will be about 30USD at the most? 30USD each night for a hostel for 1 month would equal 900 dollars, so lets just say 1000 USD.

So 4000USD, minus 1000 for the flight, minus 400 for the Eurail Pass, minus 1000 for accomodation every night in a hostel.

This leaves me with 1600USD for 1 month to spend on food, and other things that I should keep in mind such as the following: Possible Bus Cost, Tour/Museum Cost, Emergency etc.

Is this possible? will 1600 USD for food and other small things be too hard?

If I was able to get 500 - 1000 USD more would that help me out alot?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks alot guys.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 01:04 AM

Hi

OK that's $1600 USD for one month. So that's $50 USD a day. If you stay in hostels with use of a kitchen and cook your own meals you should be able to do it.

That 5 country pass for 400 dollars. Have you compared it to the cost of point to point tickets. Also you may be able to get discounts if you're under 25 years of age. Check out these issues on this link - http://www.ricksteves.com/rail/comparetickets.htm.

Or compare costs of flying between countries - www.whichbudget.com.

The International Youth Travel Card (IYTC) - provides general discounts if you're a full time student or under 26 - http://www.isic.org/sisp/index.htm?f...ply.html#Para2

Good luck.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 10:41 AM

I think it would really be better if you had some extra cash. You MAY be able to get decent hostels for $30 per night (but in NYC they're more like $35 or so) and eating from supermarket stuff is cheap.

But - entrance fees can be a lot - I think the Tower of London is around $20. Local transport is also not cheap - so you should plan on doing a lot of walking.

The biggest problem is nightlife. If you want just a half pint in a pub or a glass of wine standing at a bar it will be fairly inexpensive. But - to go to anything like a club - or to have a mixed drink or hard liquor - is a fortune compared to the US.

And you'll need to look for free concerts or other evening activities - since even in less expensive countries (which you have NOT picked) they run $20 and up for even modest seats/student tickets.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 10:48 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think you need to typically allow 30 euro for hostels, so a bit more than 30USD.

I would suggest cutting Ireland, then I think you have a do-able 1 month plan. 1 week each in 4 countries.

I would also price your exact routes. Possibly 2nd class point-to-point train tickets will be cheaper than the $400 rail pass, depending on just how much you will be traveling.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 11:18 AM

I don't know about Ireland, but from my experience Switzerland was one of the more expensive countries in Europe.

And yes, the suggestion of point to point transportation over the Eurailpass is valid. I'm not so sure that the passes are the best way to go.

I think you can pretty much do hostals for $30 a night--I'm sure you've checked out the various websites. I believe DD had no problem finding places in that pricerange.

It's hard for me to believe you can't find a cheaper flight. Have you checked out all the various airlines and websites for specials. That seems high to me (and I live in Seattle).

Good luck!
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

The cheapest flight I have found is 793 dollars, so about 800 dollars...That's departing from LALos Angeles International) to Dublin. If anyone can find a cheaper flight, I'd really appreciate the help. I want to depart around the 16th - 17th of June, and return same time of July, so about 30 days or so.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 02:35 PM

Maybe consider flying into London or Paris or Amsterdam and check out whichbudget.com to see what kinds of fares you can get from there. It might make a big difference.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 03:49 PM

All of your countries except Ireland are within reasonable travel distance by train, etc. so it would cut down drastically on your expenses to leave out Ireland. On the other hand, I have traveled to many countries and Ireland is my all time favorite and is definatley a place that you would want to see and spend alot of time.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 05:47 AM
ira

Hi M,

Have you considered shortening your visit to 3 wks and leaving out 1 country?

Europe will still be there when you can afford to go again.