Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Europcar: which is the best office to pick up my rental?

Feb 11th, 2019, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Okay, so once Nice has been 'done', we are moving on to Avignon for four evenings. We are going to rent a vehicle for 15 days, starting on 6 September.

In my country, we 'keep left, pass right' on our roads, and in France it is the opposite. I have driven in Europe before, but to do it again after eight years seems a bit daunting. Europcar Nice has pickup offices at the aiport, Gare de Nice Ville and in Nice as well.

Which pickup point would be the easiest on me with the least time spent in City traffic? Would Gare de Nice Ville be okay, or should I rather use the airport?
Feb 11th, 2019, 06:03 AM

Nice airport as you can drive straight out and onto the A8, so very easy.
Feb 11th, 2019, 06:56 AM

It is always easier to leave a city than to drive into it when you don't know where you are going. Either the train station or the airport would be good in terms of the fact that the bigger the agency, the more likely you are to be able to choose exactly the car that you want. (On the other hand, since I always reserve the absolutely smallest car, when I go to a small agency, they are often obliged to upgrade me at no extra charge.)
Feb 11th, 2019, 10:22 AM

the idea of people driving in any city with those type of driving changes who aren't customary to them scares me, I mean that people are on the road like that.

But the airport would be very slightly easier. The train station isn't really much different as you get very quickly onto a major roadway (voie Pierre Mathis?) That goes right to the same spot right you'd get from the airport to go onto A8. But there are few city streets you have to drive to get there, not a lot of tricky turns though.
Feb 11th, 2019, 10:32 AM

The airport for sure. for one you wouldn't have to worry about open/close times, plus the airport is outside of the city in the direction of Avignon.
Feb 11th, 2019, 11:13 AM

I always think of people who might be staying not far from the train station being directed to lug all of their baggage to the airport to get a car when they could just put it in a car where they are already. I know that some will say "just take a taxi" but in that case why not take a taxi all the way to Avignon or something like that since obviously money makes no difference?
Feb 11th, 2019, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by kerouac View Post
I always think of people who might be staying not far from the train station being directed to lug all of their baggage to the airport to get a car when they could just put it in a car where they are already. I know that some will say "just take a taxi" but in that case why not take a taxi all the way to Avignon or something like that since obviously money makes no difference?
Silly argument.
Keep in mind that the OP will also have to deal a shift on a different side if, as is generally the case, the car has manual shift; I would opt for the airport.
Feb 11th, 2019, 12:47 PM

That makes absolutely no sense. You have to adapt to the rules of the road the moment you start driving a car and there will be plenty of driving between Nice and Avignon.. Please explain why a car at the airport would be easier to drive than a car at the train station.
Feb 11th, 2019, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by kerouac View Post
That makes absolutely no sense. You have to adapt to the rules of the road the moment you start driving a car and there will be plenty of driving between Nice and Avignon.. Please explain why a car at the airport would be easier to drive than a car at the train station.
The problem with opposite side driving is realigning your decisions. Highways have few decision points, while cities have decisions to be made very frequently.
Feb 11th, 2019, 11:18 PM
Original Poster

I have just done my reservation at Nice Airport, thanks for the help - the rental is actually the same as at the train station. Kerouac, I can relate to the difficulty driving into Nice; in 2005 we drove into Nice from the Italian side with only maps and a co-driver (Dear Wife) who had only learned about map reading the day before. We ended up in some very narrow roads, the airport, the port and some other scenic places before we found our accommodation. I can remember some colorful language and a few tears, all part of the bad memories we laugh about now. Can't remember how we got out of Nice two days later, but I can recall ending up on the wrong freeway/highway. One thing I can remember, is that DW's map reading skills improved by about 1, 000% after our 10 minute conversation! Or maybe my listening skills got a lot better?

The reason for my original question was purely to ease myself into having everything everything on the 'wrong' side of the car and the road. If it is easy from the station and there are not that many robots or the traffic is acceptably low, then I can do it from there. Getting to the airport is no problem, as there are buses going there and there is always the option of a taxi.
Feb 12th, 2019, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Duvies View Post
The reason for my original question was purely to ease myself into having everything everything on the 'wrong' side of the car and the road. If it is easy from the station and there are not that many robots or the traffic is acceptably low, then I can do it from there. Getting to the airport is no problem, as there are buses going there and there is always the option of a taxi.
I find the airport easier to ease myself into the driving on the right without loads of traffic, after 15mins on the A8 I get used to both driving on the wrong side and used to the car, You drive straight out of the airport onto the motorway, very simple. But I rent a car straight after a flight, if I was already in Nice I wouldn't hesitate to rent from the station or where ever it is closest. Looking at google maps, the route from the Europcar location at Nice Gare de Ville to the A8 is not complicated at all.