Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   europa hotel madrid, help!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/europa-hotel-madrid-help-605896/)

marysol Apr 7th, 2006 07:51 AM

europa hotel madrid, help!!

I am trying to decide between the Hotel Europa in Puerto del Sol area in Madrid or the Hotel Atlantico on Gran Via? Cany anyone help me with this decision? The Europa is 70 euro night for a double and Atlantico is about 110 or 119 w/breakfast. I will be there on May 6 - May 8, thanks!

Robert2533 Apr 7th, 2006 10:22 AM

It all depends on what you like. The Hotel Atlantico is a little further away from the museum triangle. It's in a busy area, but not as busy as being in Puerto del Sol. There is also roadway construction currently underway in the Puerto del Sol, which may be a bit of a distraction. Of the two, I'd go for the Hotel Atlantico.

marysol Apr 7th, 2006 02:08 PM

Thanks, I did want to be near most of the restaurants, entertainment and near the sites. Basically I want to be near everything or at least accessible by metro or bus to the tourist sites and then be able to walk to some tapas bars nearby our hotel. I read that the Puerto Del Sol is the place to be, true? Thanks.

marysol Apr 7th, 2006 02:59 PM

Also, do you know if it is difficult to get to the Europa by train with luggage? I am only leaning towards the Atlantico now because they have shuttle service and breakfast so the price may even out.

Robert2533 Apr 7th, 2006 07:43 PM

You're close enough to several good restaurants and wine bars at the Atlantico, but expect to walk a little. It's good for the appetite. Twenty minutes is nothing.

If you're coming in by train, or plane, I'd suggest taking a taxi. Madrid has some 15,000 taxis and they are priced right. Just make sure you get one of the official taxis and stick with the older drivers. They are very honest. A taxi in from the airport would only cost you around 20 euros, so a shorter ride in the city should only be 6 or 7 euros tops.

For a little more information on where to eat, refer to Maribel’s Guides.

worldinabag Apr 7th, 2006 09:41 PM

Hola

I stayed in the Puerta del Sol area (not the Europa). The location is excellent. The Europa is on a pedestrianised street so it should be quieter. It does provide breakfast (€7.50 extra). In my opinion the Europa is better value and in a better location.

You can use the metro to get to the hotels. Involves a few changes. Or as Robert posted a taxi is around €20. We used a taxi from the airport and a shuttle service to return to the airport - http://www.aerocity.com/

Adios

Viajero2 Apr 8th, 2006 02:21 AM

I have stayed in both and prefer the Europa. The location is tops, clean, the price is good, and it is surprisingly quiet. I can certainly say the same of Hotel Atlantico, including that it is a nicer hotel, great buffet breakfast, and very nice staff. However, for the value, the Hotel Europa is better deal. I didn't care for the cafeteria downstairs, it is OK for coffee and such, but not great for dinner.

marysol Apr 10th, 2006 10:18 AM

Thanks for your help. I booked the Hotel Europa and I will book with aerocity.com for a pick-up at the airport. I will post after I come back but I think we will like the Europa base on all the other reviews I have read.

marysol Apr 17th, 2006 09:17 AM

Madrid Man! Thank you so much for those web cam sites. I have read so much about your site and I have looked at it. I really appreciate you taking the time out to reply to my questions. I do however have one more, and this is whether I should change my flight and stay an extra day in Madrid? I will be there for almost two days. I arrive on May 10 around 12 noon from Ibiza and then I leave back to Chicago on May 12 at 8 am. Enough time or should I stay an extra day? (This is also dependent on the change fee.) Thanks!!

bckay1 Jan 5th, 2007 10:03 AM

I have booked the Europa for May 2nd for 5 nights and hope that it is a good choice because of the construction. However the rates have gone up since the last posting.
Anyone been there recently?

artlover Jan 6th, 2007 11:34 AM

I haven't been to the Europa in several years, but we didn't like it and wouldn't stay there again. Just another opinion, and maybe it's improved since our stay, but you might be better off booking with sol-melia.com or petrabax.com or bancotel.com.

DorisG Jan 8th, 2007 08:35 PM

Just returned from Madrid & you made a good choice for Hotel Europa. It is in a better location than the Atlantico. Right at the Puerta del Sol, next to EL Corte Ingles (Spain's department store) walking distance to the museums, to Plaza Mayor, many tapas bars & a Metro (subway) station right in front. There is some construction at the square but no major issue. But it is a very very crowded area so be very cafeful & beware of pickpockets.

eurogirl2006 Jan 8th, 2007 11:30 PM

bookmarking

Graziella5b Jan 9th, 2007 05:03 AM

Ages ago we use to stay in that area in Calle El Arenal but now I feel it is too crowded. If you like to be in the middle of a human sea it is ok.