Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Euro Trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/euro-trip-958578/)

Angelo_Gou Dec 6th, 2012 09:54 PM

Euro Trip

Does this itinerary seem possible?
May 15 Arrive in London
May 16 London
May 17 London
May 18 Eurostar to Paris
May 19 Paris
May 20 Fly to Rome
May 21 Rome
May 22 Rome
May 23 Rome
May 24 Fly to Athens
May 25 Athens
May 26 Athens
May 27 Fly to Crete
May 28 Crete
May 29 Crete
May 30 Crete
May 31 Crete
June 1 FLY to Istanbul
June 2 Istanbul
June 3 Fly home

Angelo_Gou Dec 6th, 2012 09:56 PM

Please feel free to play around with the number of days in each place and add cities or remove cities.

easytraveler Dec 6th, 2012 10:33 PM

Anything is "possible".

However I don't know what you mean by "play around with the number of days" - do you have more days to spend in each place or do you have a set number of total days?

Without knowing your likes and dislikes and the reason why (family? friends?) you want to be in one location (Crete) for so many days, it's hard to comment.

Off the bat, I'd say that you're spending too little time in Paris and Istanbul and too much time in Crete.

Also when you travel from one city to another, you've lost pretty much one whole day - you need to get from the city to the airport and at least an hour or two before flight time, then there's the actual flight time, then there the time to get from the airport to your hotel.

If you could furnish us with more details, we could dialog further and refine your plans.

StCirq Dec 6th, 2012 11:32 PM

Looks terribly rushed to me, with little time " on the ground" anywhere except Crete. Why don't you just go to Greece and Turkey and maybe Rome and enjoy those venues? Paris and London seem like afterthoughts. You're going to spend a lot of money to get to/be in London and Paris for absolutely negligible amounts of time.

JimmyRri Dec 6th, 2012 11:49 PM

If I were you, I wouldn't spent only 2 days in London, I would dedicate at least a week for it

jamikins Dec 7th, 2012 01:08 AM

I would skip Paris, its not worth it for 1 day here, and add that time to London.

And then skip Istanbul and add that time to Athens and Rome.

easytraveler Dec 7th, 2012 01:12 AM

I, OTOH, would skip London and add days to Paris; skip Athens and spend more time in Istanbul, which is a truly amazing city.

See? What are YOUR likes and dislikes? Not what our likes and dislikes are. :)

adrienne Dec 7th, 2012 04:46 AM

You're going to Istanbul and Paris for 1 day each? It's a waste of time and money to get there and see almost nothing. But it's your money and your time. I would remove Paris and Istanbul because it seems that you have little interest in either city, based on the amount of time you've scheduled in them.

I certainly would not add any more locations to this list since you have a short time in Europe.

mamcalice Dec 7th, 2012 04:55 AM

I would eliminate both London and Paris and add a day to Rome and the rest to Istanbul. Note that you have many and varied suggestions but since we don't know what you like and why you have chosen these particular cities, we are choosing our itinerary, not yours.

Help us to help you.

Angelo_Gou Dec 7th, 2012 06:55 AM

Thank you all for your comments, I guess I need to tell you guys more. A friend and I are going to Europe this summer and we have between 20 to 30 days and we want to see as many places as possible. We also wanted to spend a good amount of time relaxing in the Greek islands and we chose Crete for 5 days. We both enjoy archaeological sites but we wanted to also enjoy the amazing beaches of the southern Aegean Sea. We have both been to Athens and Zakynthos before but did not spend much time in Athens so would like to go back. My friend is dying to sea Paris and we also have some friends in London. I hope this helps a little more.

jamikins Dec 7th, 2012 07:02 AM

Thank you for clarifying.

It does not change my view that you have too much for that amount of time. Trying to see as many places as possible means you will spend a lot of time and money moving around in transit as opposed to actually seeing the great things in the places you are.

If you want to see Paris then devote the time to it. 1 day is hardly worth the expense of time. It would be better to accept that you will be back to Europe again and leave it for next time if you dont want to give it more time this time around.

Unfortunately we all have to prioritise when we plan trips - not everything fits in given the time restrictions.

adrienne Dec 7th, 2012 07:10 AM

If your goal is to see as many places as possible then it doesn't matter where you go since you're only looking for quantity. You can add Amsterdam or a few cities in Italy to your itinerary.

If your friend is "dying to see Paris" then you'll only get a look at the city in 1 day; your friend won't be able to experience Paris which is a different thing than just seeing the city.

My goal is to see places in depth rather than for a short time.

Angelo_Gou Dec 7th, 2012 07:15 AM

Would 5 nights in London, 5 in Paris, 5 in Rome, and 5 in Crete be a better option to explore all those places?

mamcalice Dec 7th, 2012 07:26 AM

5 nights in each of those 4 places will at least give you a fighting chance to see them.

jamikins Dec 7th, 2012 07:26 AM

Absolutely.

easytraveler Dec 7th, 2012 07:27 AM

20 days is too rushed. With 30 days you could expand on the number of days in Paris and Istanbul.

Your age matters too. Barcelona and Berlin (both not on your list) are cities good for young people - not that they don't have a lot for older people or for people who want to visit museums, but there are vibrant European cities which are especially attractive for young people.

Or take the Mediterranean Sea - plenty of wonderful places to go to besides Greece - the south of France, Croatia...

One of the best ways to stretch your days in Europe is to take the night sleeper train. You can sleep on the train at night (which will save you one night in a hotel, if savings is important to you) and enjoy the next city by day. This take careful planning, as you do not want to change trains in the middle of the night. However, you could zigzag around Europe by taking night trains.

So much more to talk about :) The more you tell us of your interests and of yourself, the better information you will from this website.

adrienne Dec 7th, 2012 10:06 AM

5 nights/4 days in London, Paris, Rome would give you a much better perspective than your original itinerary. Please try to make sure you have 4 solid days, exclusive of travel time. These cities have so much to offer the sightseer in terms of history, art, culture.

You also want some down time to sit in a cafe and sip a glass of wine or have a coffee or walk through a park. If you're worried about running out of things to do in these cities then cast your worries aside. You could live in each place for months and never repeat a day.