Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Euro Travel Quiz # 41 - Food for Thought! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/euro-travel-quiz-41-food-for-thought-1035620/)

PalenQ Jan 26th, 2015 08:51 AM

Euro Travel Quiz # 41 - Food for Thought!

1- "Maroni" are sold in Italian towns in the fall - what are these food treats?

2- What is Yorkshire Pud (pudding)?

3- In a FEBO snack bar in Holland what would a Frites (Patates) Speciaal entail?

4- Reims and Epernay are commercial capitals of the Champagne industry - name as many companies in both taken together that you can tour - Champagne Houses?

5- The city whose mineral water is famous was the capital of so-called "Free France" during the Nazi occupation.

6- Cadbury World in England has visits to its old chocolate plant - what city is it in?

7- XXXX is an anise-flavoured aperitif that is widely consumed in Greece and Cyprus.

8- a pioneer in discounted groceries and selling petro below mandated prices in France now a big box store whose name starts with E. and is followed by what last name?

9- If in a Bavarian beer hall you get a Mass of beer - one of those huge steins that waitressed unfathomably carry around with several in each hand - how much beer would you get in "Ein Mass" - one Mass glass?

10- A XXXXX XXXXX is a Turkish dish made of meat cooked on a vertical rotisserie, normally lamb but also a mixture of veal or beef with these, or sometimes chicken. The dish is also widely known by its Arabic name "shawarma" (from Turkish çevirme) or the Greek name "gyros". What would this dish be labeled in snack bars in Germany and all over Europe?

11- XXXXXing Out Time means what in a British Pub?

Good luck and the winner wins (plus S & H)!

Percy is the ultimate arbitrator of correct answers!

annhig Jan 26th, 2015 09:15 AM

1. chestnuts

2. Savoury batter puddings served traditionally with roast beef

6. Birmingham

10. doner kebab

11. when the pub closes.

MaineGG Jan 26th, 2015 09:18 AM

5. Vichy
6. ouzo
8. Leclerc

MaineGG Jan 26th, 2015 09:19 AM

oops - 7. ouzo

Trophywife007 Jan 26th, 2015 09:22 AM

7. Ouzo

9. Litre?

hetismij2 Jan 26th, 2015 09:27 AM

3, mayonnaise, curry ( or tomato) ketchup and onions. Served in any snack bar or frietkot in the Netherlands and Belgium

Do you know what a patatje oorlog is?

PalenQ Jan 26th, 2015 10:11 AM

looks like annhig (on double secret probation) wins - I'll wait for percy before awarding the prize (plus S & H).

#4 remains unanswered.

patate oorlog - well no but I can guess - oorlog means clock maybe or hour - so a clock potato? Naw don't think so so you've stumped the stumper!

Percy Jan 26th, 2015 10:54 AM

I will be back within 6 hours .

Have to go now to an appointment.

I will have a surprise for annhig by the end of the week and she will have to refrain from answering ( for a while :) )

C'mon you guys can get #4 !!

Check in later and will declare the winner

hetismij2 Jan 26th, 2015 10:55 AM

Oorlog means war PalenQ.

hetismij2 Jan 26th, 2015 11:01 AM

4. Moet et Chandon, Veuve Clicquot, Nicolas Feuillatte, Mumm, Krug, Taittinger. Plenty more.

IMDonehere Jan 26th, 2015 11:14 AM

3- In a FEBO snack bar in Holland what would a Frites (Patates) Speciaal entail?
____
Giving it taste.

nytraveler Jan 26th, 2015 11:16 AM

4. The list would be too long if you include all of the champagne houses in each place. We loved visiting Dom Perignon but were disappointed that they didn't have the better ones available for sale at a reasonable price (only the budget versions).

Percy Jan 26th, 2015 06:49 PM

I reviewed the answers and many were good.

hetismij2 , I had those in Belgium last year.!

Drum Roll ........ the winner is annhig Yeah !!! >:D<

annhig Jan 26th, 2015 11:05 PM

nyt- that was my excuse for not answering #4 - too many to name.

thank you Percy for your unbiased appreciation of my talents, such as they are.

I'll try to restrain myself from now on, but Pal's quizzes are too tempting.

PalenQ Jan 27th, 2015 06:46 AM

annhig's still on double secret probation - she better watch her step - but don't tell her she is on double secret probation - sssssshhhhh!