Jan 6th, 2015, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Euro Travel Quiz #27

1- .. Every summer we can rent a cottage
In XXXXXXX if it's not too dear
We shall scrimp and save
Ah
Grandchildren on your knee>

This part of a famous pop song - what is the place they are talking about and what's the song?

2- There is often said to be a paucity of things to see in gorgeous Luxembourg (city bisected by a deep gorge) yet this tour of tunnels hewn out in the cliffs is a major tourist draw - what are they called (the tunnels you tour)?

3- Where in Berlin is Hitler's Bunker (near what famous places) - the underground location is I believe still unmarked.

4- Scotland has four major old abbeys along the English border - called the Border Abbeys - name at least three of them.

5- - What is the name of the narrow-gauge railway that goes around the base of most of Mt Etna?

6- Near what Italian lake was Mussolini hung and in what city was his body put on public display?

7- Which non-English speaking countries have a name in their own language that is the same as what we call it in English?

8- Where did or does the famous Peace Train travel between in this island?

9- A popular short ramble (walk) in the famed Cotswold Hills goes between Upper XXX and Lower XXX - both Upper and Lower being followed by the exact same name?

10 -The XXXXXX Government promotes jai alai as "the fastest sport in the world" because of the ball speed. - What government is that?

First to get the most correct wins the top prize!
Jan 6th, 2015, 12:36 PM

I am in my car with a cell phone.
I know 7 already but will not partake.

!!! there is only so much free posting I can take .
Jan 6th, 2015, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

That 's the spirit - share the goodies!
Jan 6th, 2015, 01:15 PM

Scotland has four major old abbeys along the English border - called the Border Abbeys - name at least three of them.

Abbie Hoffman
Abbey Road
Abbey Lincoln
Jan 6th, 2015, 02:25 PM

2. Case Mates (or something similar.)

3. Mohrenstrasse U-bahn - Adorned with the burgundy marble from the Reich Chancellery. The bunker is outside under a children's playground.
Jan 6th, 2015, 04:21 PM

4. Melrose, Jedburg and Dryburg Abbeys

9. Upper and Lower Slaughter
Jan 6th, 2015, 04:54 PM

IMDonehere…

You missed Dear Abby.

Jan 6th, 2015, 06:11 PM

Good one Tom
Jan 6th, 2015, 10:37 PM

7: France, Portugal, Luxembourg (both the English spelling and the definition of the Grand Duchy's "own language" move round a bit), Liechtenstein, Slovakia (which is what Slovaks call their country in Slovak, though its government has a poncier title for official use), Belarus (though Belarussians pronounce the 'e' differently, their spelling is the same), Andorra, Monaco, San Marino, Moldova, Romania, Bulgaria (though you can quibble about the letter transliterated into English as "iya")

And, though many dispute whether it's in Europe, Azerbaijan
Jan 7th, 2015, 12:49 AM

1, Isle of Wight, with Vera Chuck and Dave.
2, the Casemates
6, Lake Como
8, Ireland
9, the Slaughters
10, Spain? It is a Basque sport.
Jan 7th, 2015, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

hetismij takes the cake this time with 5 correct answsers - # 5 was which cities did it travel between or does it - Dublin to Belfast - some may say both are in Ireland.

#5 Is the CircumEtnea narrow-gauge railway in Sicily - quite a trip - thru lava flows and small towns - not near the crater of course but around the base.

flanner gets the prize for detail of answer - I could quibble with a few but why quibble with gthe world's foremost authority! (Seriously!)
Jan 8th, 2015, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

10, Spain? It is a Basque sport.>

judges will take that answer though the thing was copied from Wiki that said Basque government but I or I mean the panel of judges - say to also accept your answer due to poor phrasing of the question.