Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Euro Quiz #83 - Potpourri About Writers and Artists and Such! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/euro-quiz-83-potpourri-about-writers-and-artists-and-such-1042174/)

PalenQ Apr 7th, 2015 09:05 AM

Euro Quiz #83 - Potpourri About Writers and Artists and Such!

1- Thomas hardy's The Mayor of Casterbridge took place in this English town that was Hardy's home.

2- This famous English writer spent summers in Bleak House in this English town?

3- In what museum just southeast of Brussels could you see things about Tintin?

4- Where is the Kon-Tiki Museum?

5- Prague has a museum to a famous writer - who is he/she?

6- Slaughterhouse Five was set in what city?

7- Macbeth was set in what two countries - one small section of the play in one and the rest in the other - where was most of the play set and where was one small part set?

8- Name two painters of the Barbizon School (in a small town in the Forest of Fontainebleu France

9- The XXXXXXX located in Dornach (near Basel), Switzerland, is the world center for the anthroposophical movement- what is the center's name?

10 - ,Every XXXXXXXX this cpital city celebrates XXXXX's XXX, retracing the steps of a character in James Joyce's Ulysees for one day - what is the day called and when is it? (Basically a pub hop it seems!)

gertie3751 Apr 7th, 2015 09:26 AM

1. Dorchester?
5. Kafka
8. Millet, Rousseau
10 Blooms Day June 16th.

gertie3751 Apr 7th, 2015 09:29 AM

9. Rudolf Steiner?

PalenQ Apr 7th, 2015 09:29 AM

gertie has 4 write - can't confirm Millet but assume it is right.

PalenQ Apr 7th, 2015 09:30 AM

9 is ofte3n called the Rudolph Steiner Center by my Steiner devotee friends but the center is named after someone else. 1/2 point awarded!

MaineGG Apr 7th, 2015 09:37 AM

4. Oslo
6. Dresden

Pegontheroad Apr 7th, 2015 10:13 AM

Off the subject, but in the 60's my friend Karen and I--both English teachers--went to England. One of the areas we wanted to see was Wessex county, where Hardy set his novels.

Clueless, we didn't realize that Wessex was a fictional county.

PalenQ Apr 7th, 2015 11:37 AM

Peg - I was an English teacher (H.S.) for several years too - Double Double toil and trouble still rings in my ears - every senior had to read that to them boring thing. Cheers.

quokka Apr 7th, 2015 12:27 PM

9 - Goetheanum

annhig Apr 7th, 2015 12:51 PM

Clueless, we didn't realize that Wessex was a fictional county.>>

Peg - they say that confession is good for the soul.

here's my two penn'th

1. Dorchester

2. Rochester

3. When i went there i thought that it WAS in Brussels!

4. wherever Thor Hyerdal comes from

5. Kafka

6. no idea

7. i did "The Scottish Play" at school but I have no idea where it's set [apart from being somewhere in Scotland - where is Dunsinaine?]

8. no idea

9. don't know

10. Dublin - Bloom's Day.

annhig Apr 7th, 2015 12:58 PM

8.? oh well.

PalenQ Apr 7th, 2015 12:59 PM

annhig - 2 is wrong - I thought it were in Brussels too but checking on the site it is now in suburban Brussels

4- Yes that is right

7- Scotland is one of the countries - was a country back then and claims to be now. One small act was set in another country... this was a question on Jeopardy - our long-running quiz show - the other day. Part 4.3 or 3.4 they said was not set in Scotland.

10 correct

Quokka gets # 9 right the Goetheanum

2,3,4,7 need proper right answers yet...

annhig Apr 7th, 2015 01:35 PM

wiki seems to think that Macbeth's castle where he entertains Duncan is at inverness - so the first part is definitely set in Scotland.

we know that part of it is set in Fife as MacDuff is Thane of Fife, so presumably that's where Macbeth's henchmen go to murder his wife and children [the henchmen being dressed as IRA men in one of the productions i saw].

Macduff flees to England but returns to Scotland with an army to overthrow Macbeth, so the answer seems to be that most of the play is set in Scotland with a small part in England.

well done Pal - that's an A* GCSE in english for you!

Percy Apr 7th, 2015 01:37 PM

#3 Comic Museum in Brussels.

PalenQ Apr 7th, 2015 01:45 PM

I'll give Percy that right but the main museum to Tintin's creator, Herge is now in a really modern-looking edifice seemingly about 10-15 kms southeast of town with shuttle buses from Brussels.

http://www.museeherge.com/en

annhig Apr 7th, 2015 02:01 PM

it was the old museum we went to. it was quite a long time ago. [?25 years?]

Michael Apr 7th, 2015 02:44 PM

8 Corot

PalenQ Apr 7th, 2015 02:56 PM

JPB or whatever Corot is yes from the Barbizon School.

annhig - a future quiz question I am SURE you will know - wheer is the infamous Maze Prison?

PalenQ Apr 7th, 2015 03:31 PM

2 and 4 remain - Broadstairs for dickens summer retreat, on the Channel - nice old town.

4- Oslo

39 - W

PalenQ Apr 7th, 2015 03:31 PM

# 8 W