Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Euro Quiz # 43 - Geography (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/euro-quiz-43-geography-1035837/)

PalenQ Jan 28th, 2015 08:25 AM

Euro Quiz # 43 - Geography

1- What is the raised area of central France called and what is its highest summit?

2- The Marly Machine was developed to do what at Versailles?

3- France' longest river is also the rare one not navigable for much of its course?

4- Tie: Lemmefjord, Denmark and Prins Alexander Polder, Netherlands are tied for having the lowest below sea level places in western Europe - how much are they below sea level (ballpark answers - best guess wins).

5- On boat tours Germans burst into the song "The Siren Song" when the boat passes this prominent Rhine Gorge landmark?

6- How many countries does the Danube flow thru?

7- What is the Camargue in France and what unique tours are a favorite of folks to do there?

8- What countries besides the U.K. are in the same time zone as the U.K.?

9- What is the farthest north train station in western Europe (northwestern in this case)?

10 - In The Netherlands what are the Delta Works?

Good luck and the winner wins (plus S&H) - winner to be determined by Percy - tough Percy - a stickler for detail!

lobo_mau Jan 28th, 2015 08:38 AM

Interesting questions. Thanks for entertaining us. I think I know #8.

hetismij2 Jan 28th, 2015 08:42 AM

That would be Lammefjord, and Zuidaspolder for question 4.
Prins Alexanderpolder is no longer that low.

nytraveler Jan 28th, 2015 08:42 AM

8. Ireland and Portugal - are there any others?

SeeDee Jan 28th, 2015 08:44 AM

1. Massif Central
2. Supply of water to the fountains
3 The Loire
4.100 metres
5. The Lorelei
6. 7
7. Horseriding
8. Republic of Ireland
9. Thurso

flanneruk Jan 28th, 2015 08:48 AM

9. I'd guess at Narvik, without checking.

flanneruk Jan 28th, 2015 08:52 AM

9. One of those old hoary q's. Do we accept the Faroes as a country? It'd be pissy in this context to pretend the Crown Dependencies that aren't technically part of the UK are real countries, though the Channel Islands are on GMT and east of a bit of France.

But the Faroes are also on GMT, and mainland Denmark isn't

PalenQ Jan 28th, 2015 08:53 AM

With checking flanner would be correct.

Looks like SeeDee takes the prize! (Plus S&H!) - getting six correct - missing # 4, 8, 9 and 10 - I will await Percy's scrutiny before awarding the prize - (plus S&H!).

hetismij2 Jan 28th, 2015 09:37 AM

9. Kolari in Finland

hetismij2 Jan 28th, 2015 09:39 AM

10. Coastal flood defences, built after the disastrous floods of 1953.

unclegus Jan 28th, 2015 09:47 AM

Canary Islands are also on GMT but are part of Spain

Alec Jan 28th, 2015 09:48 AM

8. Iceland. Parts of Greenland (on the East coast).

hetismij2 Jan 28th, 2015 10:00 AM

Portugal too.

PalenQ Jan 28th, 2015 10:47 AM

Question # 8 was flawed from the get-go and thus any answers with Ireland and Portugal in it is accepted as good enough.

#4 - Lowest Point in Western Europe
Tie: Lemmefjord, Denmark and Prins Alexander Polder, Netherlands: 23 feet / 7 meters below sea level - note Hetismij2 has corrected what the low point in The Netherlands is and perhaps this is now lower than the Danish low point - I would gather.

PalenQ Jan 28th, 2015 11:03 AM

As for # 8 - I should have said countries that are bona fide countries - like U.N. membership or an American Embassy or Consulate, etc - recognized as an independent country by the world. Don't think any of the ones discussed do.

Iceland does qualify and is at British time.

hetismij2 Jan 28th, 2015 11:11 AM

No, it is still the same level as Lammefjord. Prins Alexanderpolder is higher now due to building on it.

My house is 1m below sea level. Houses at the other end of the street are 3metres above sea level.

PalenQ Jan 28th, 2015 11:20 AM

So your house could easily be under water IF! Do you know offhand how much of Holland - oops I mean The Netherlands is below sea level?

Dank u wel!

Alec Jan 28th, 2015 11:48 AM

26%?

PalenQ Jan 28th, 2015 12:08 PM

Just saw a map that showed 'presently' much more than half of the country - much more than I would have thought - I would have thought about 25% too.

Percy Jan 28th, 2015 12:19 PM

I am here and taking some Physiotherapy right now, so on the smart phone

Interesting questions.

I toured Netherlands last year and visited several Delta Works places..like the one near Veere.

I do not see how anyone can beat SeeDee since she got six right.

(where is annhig)?? !!

Drum Roll.
The Winner is SeeDee yeah!!!! Congratulations.