Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Euro hits $1.50 (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/euro-hits-1-50-a-312014/)

logos999 Feb 26th, 2008 04:17 PM

Euro hits $1.50

Finally, it took far too long :-)

bettyk Feb 26th, 2008 04:44 PM

Well, we aren't going to Europe this year, so hopefully it will be better in 2009. If not, we'll still go anyway.

gomiki Feb 26th, 2008 05:07 PM

It makes it easier to do the math :`(

ronkala Feb 26th, 2008 05:13 PM

That's for sure Gomiki.

When we started to plan our April trip to Leiden it equaled $1.36. But as my dear old MIL used to say, "If you can get over the dog, you can get over the tail."

dutyfree Feb 26th, 2008 05:41 PM

I might have to give up flying international and return to flying domestic-rumor has that it will hit $2.00 by Christmas!

Clifton Feb 26th, 2008 06:12 PM

Whew! Good for you guys, logos.

The timing also makes me happy that of the two trips we were debating, one of them being Germany, that we picked the other one! So many places to visit while we wait for the numbers to swing the other way -so it's a great motivator to explore Asia, South America, etc. :)

L84SKY Feb 26th, 2008 06:22 PM

"Good for you guys"! Clifton that is exactly what I was thinking.

I've had so many wonderful trips to Europe, I'll look forward to helping lost European tourists, when they visit So. Calif. It will be nice to return the favors :)

travelme Feb 27th, 2008 01:28 AM

How dreadful! 1.5 is just insane. I was in Spain last week and it was at 1.46. There is just something about 1.5 that just makes me want to look elswhere for my holidays.
When I was is the Azores last July, it was 1.35. That seemed like a lot at the time.

hetismij Feb 27th, 2008 01:40 AM

As long as it stays that way until May - I am sooo looking forward to the Land of Enchantment, especially now it is gettig cheaper all the time :D :D.
I will be stocking up on photographic gear while I'm there too!

The Euro is also a nice number against the pound at the moment too - 75p which also makes for easy maths for my trip home to the UK in a couple of weeks.

travelme Feb 27th, 2008 01:51 AM

When I was in Nerja last week I saw a British newspaper that had the funniest headline. It said something like " British tourists hit hard in Spain on the weakening pound". Oh, please give me a break. The British are raking in an extra 32 euro cents for each pound sterling. Sorry, I don't have too much sympathy for them.

chartley Feb 27th, 2008 02:10 AM

"The British are raking in an extra 32 euro cents for each pound sterling".

No we are not. You just don't understand foreign currencies. What matters is the difference in costs between one country and another. The exchange rate is just part of the calculation. If your currency loses value, but prices stay the same, you can buy less.

The euro is currently 1.32 to the pound, whereas a year ago it was 1.46. The euro zone is therefore about 10% more expensive than it was. Prices have stayed much the same, so Brits pay more for the same items than they did a year ago.

Twenty years ago, you could get 10 French Francs for one pound, but that did not mean that things in France cost one tenth what they did in Britain.

travelme Feb 27th, 2008 02:16 AM

Cry me a river, Chartely!

bellastarr Feb 27th, 2008 02:23 AM

I saved a large number of Euros after my last trip and they're sitting in my safebox in the freezer, gaining value..... not a bad investment?

chartley Feb 27th, 2008 02:40 AM

Well, I tried.

Can anyone else help to explain to Travelme how foreign currency works? He/she obviously thinks that because the unit value of one pound is more than the unit value of one euro, then those with pounds are automatically better off than those with euros.

We are, of course, all better off than we were if we travel to the U.S., but that is not the point.

travelme Feb 27th, 2008 03:37 AM

No, Chartely, I need no lesson in currencies, thank you very much. I am well traveled and quite aware what things cost in other countries, Britain included. You are at an advantage with pounds so please save your breath and there is no need for you to be so condescending.

Dukey Feb 27th, 2008 03:41 AM

Chartley, I'll tell you how "foreign currency works"...when it gets to the point some people feel that the "foreign currency" isn't worth the pain, they start traveling elsewhere.

Pinchme_iam_dreaming Feb 27th, 2008 04:08 AM

We did like bellastarr... I have 590.70 Euros left from our vacation last Sept. I knew we were going back and the Euro was going up. When we got there the Euro was $1.37.. 2 weeks later it was $1.41. By the time we get back I expect it to be $1.60. I pre-paid our hotels,airfare,airport transfers and metro passes. (Amsterdam and Paris) in Sept. Sept '05 the Euro was about $1.26 when we was there.

longboatkey Feb 27th, 2008 04:12 AM

Careful my little lambs; currency trading is a roller coaster ride. You either need to devote many hours to it or have a "trusted" private banking relationship with a top tier firm.
Worry about $4.00/gallon gas and $4.50/gallon diesel in U.S. soon. The "Chu-Hoi" holds 600 gal diesel so don't think it puts a dent in the ol' pcoket when you top it off for a cruise. Good luck!

logos999 Aug 8th, 2008 01:20 PM

>How dreadful! 1.5 is just insane.
I totally agree, don't worry, it'll go to 1.75 soon. :-)

FainaAgain Aug 8th, 2008 01:28 PM

Ohhh... so maybe my dream is not so unrealistic, and next summer I will be able to go? Copenhagen and Zurich are calling my name, can't you hear :))